1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Screw in Ball Joint a litle screwed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 03:48 AM
Deep Six
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screw in Ball Joint a litle screwed

Well, just got around to reinstalling the upper ball joints. Read the instruction leaflet that came with the new ball joints, it suggested not to cross thread the ball joints on installation. Thats good advice I thought to myself.

Commenced installing the ball joint, found it tight going in but figured thats OK since they were tough to get out. Got almost home and discovered it was cross threaded. DAMN, Unscrewed it til it was loose, got out the plastic hammer and tapped it back straight, screwed it home but was not a nice tight fit.
Now I'm wondering where to go from here. Will it be OK as is, should I get a new control arm and start again. is if feasible to tac weld the ball joint body to the control arm to make sure it stays put.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2019, 10:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you can tighten it anymore that would be the best route to go but if not a tac weld will do the job. if upper control arms were readily as an aftermarket part i would say replace it but i know they are not as readily available anymore and the price asked for them is usually reflected by availability. i don't think there is really that much stress put on the upper control arm which is why it is so scrawny compared to the lower control arm.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 PM
atawiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the control arm is cross threaded? Maybe its just the ball joint threads.

Quick Reply: Screw in Ball Joint a litle screwed