1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering column swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 01:19 AM
Dustinyourshelf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column swap

I will be putting an automatic floor shifter in my 88 d100 and I was looking for steering a column and all I could find was gm steering columns they look really nice but the wiring would be all different I am assuming and I know for sure that the plugs aren’t going to match up is there any better options out there for that truck specifically that I’m just not seeing

Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

just knock the roll pin out of the shift lever and call it done. you won't find a plug and play standard column or not easily or cheap since dodge made so many changes between 88 and 91.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

Actually back in the 70's they used GM tilt columns. My power wagon had one till i ripped it out and put in a standard one. I don't remember how they mated the wiring. I believe you can get the curved plug and pig tail to match up to it. You still will have to figure out the wiring to match up the two and how to mate it up to the steering gear.

Quick Reply: Steering column swap