1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rust repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 PM
87midnightrider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rust repair?

hey all. Im in search of advise on the subject of rust conversion or killing. my son has an 87 dodge that we are restoring for his first vehicle and although 99% of the truck is rust free there is 1 area on the roof that isnt and im kind of having a hard time deciding which direction to go from here. sandblasting is something that I wanted to do to it initially but then I got to thinking about the crevice behind what I'm going to be blasting and the fact that it would be filling up with sand and without knowing where that is eventually going to gather up I decided not to do it. so chemicals? help a guy out with ideas but budget friendly ones. ive been told this is a common problem with these truck and I have been trying to come up with any kind of solution to remedy the situation with the odd angles and tight spaces the rust has began in. i know the pics arent the best but they are all I have at the moment

Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

Did you cut out part of the roof? If the rust is between the panels there is not much you can do about that. You can coat it with a rust converter that will stop it from getting any worse. If it's really bad it's probably in the A pillars also. You can remove the drip edge but that's not doing anything with the rust between the panels. Another option is to replace the the whole upper roof section and A pillars but not a job for the novice.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:20 PM
eastcoastfives
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue on my sample... I think it would be far too much work to try and peel the top skin off a donor so I found a complete roof section and I will graft it in... With that said my example is not a show truck and nor will it be...

Quick Reply: rust repair?