1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED blinkers and taillights problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Dustinyourshelf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED blinkers and taillights problems

So I ordered led bulbs to go all around my truck and my first problem was the taillights... the taillights didn’t work but when I pressed the brake they lit up and the other problems are the front blinkers they work fine when I turn the lights on but when I went into my truck the blinker arrows for both sides stayed on like I had a blown bulb or something. Has anyone ran into this problem and is there a way I can fix it so I don’t waste my money on all these leds?

Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Are you sure you got the right bulb/base for the taillights? Replace your stock flasher with a electronic one. That will fix the issue with the turn signals.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

a electronic flasher won't fix the issue but will be needed to make things work. you will most likely need to install diodes on both front turn signals and marker lights to keep power from feeding from 1 system into the other. i don't know if you can use led's on the side without choosing whether you would like them to work as marker lights or turn signals since they can't usually work as both with led's. you pretty much need a a/c light bulb in there and i don't know of any other than the stock bulbs.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:29 PM
Dustinyourshelf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
a electronic flasher won't fix the issue but will be needed to make things work. you will most likely need to install diodes on both front turn signals and marker lights to keep power from feeding from 1 system into the other. i don't know if you can use led's on the side without choosing whether you would like them to work as marker lights or turn signals since they can't usually work as both with led's. you pretty much need a a/c light bulb in there and i don't know of any other than the stock bulbs.
idk what the problem is I just can’t wrap my head around it unless I just have bad brake light led bulbs the reverse led work perfect and I haven’t replaced the side marker lights with leds yet but I put leds in the front blinker housings and they work the only problem I see is when it’s blinking they turn completely off and then blink instead of dimming like the regular incandescent bulbs did and the arrows on my cluster stay on so I went to my local oreillys and neither of the 2 have 2 prong electronic flasher relays so I’m going to have to order one if that will be needed I will try the diodes too to see if that gets rid of the cluster light staying on. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:29 PM
eastcoastfives
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the big issue you are going to face is mechanical relays trying to 'resist' LED diodes... You will likely be able to work through it but it might take some circuit ingenuity...

Old 02-16-2020, 12:58 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

stick regular bulbs in the front sockets and the rear lights should start working normal.

The following users liked this post:
Dustinyourshelf (02-16-2020)

Quick Reply: LED blinkers and taillights problems