1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pre 1st Gen Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 12:58 AM
DuallyNic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre 1st Gen Suspension

I picked up a 1975 D300 Dually earlier this week with a restoration/restomod build in mind. One of my ideas/goals with the truck is to give it a nicer stance. I'm hoping to get about 6 or so inches of wheel to fender clearance gone. I would prefer to stay with static suspension, but air suspension isn't out of the question if thats the only way I can achieve that. I quite frankly dont know much about these trucks. I do know its a 75, 1 ton, with a 360 small block swapped into it. I believe the bed has been swapped with a bed from a newer truck, as the paint doesnt match, and the tail gate says DODGE RAM, and I dont think dodge ram was even a thing yet at that time. The rear suspension I should be able to figure out, probably with just an axle flip and if I can find lowering springs those as well. The front is where Im facing the hiccup. I know it has independent suspension, but I cant find any kits or really any ideas on what I can do to get about 5 or 6 inches of drop out of the front. If anyone has experience, or ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-20-2020, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I suspect you are going to have to build a custom front suspension to get the drop you want. Not like there is much aftermarket support for your truck any more.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think you actually need to tell us what you are doing with the truck? are you towing a trailer or just driving it? i feel like lowering a d300 would make it pretty useless and i don't believe there is any way to lower it 6" like you want. i think you can only be able to do about 2" before needing a custom frame chopping up the body to lower it on the frame. if you just want a lowered truck to drive you would have been better off to start with a d100/d150. at least they are easier to drop the front end of.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:19 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool truck!! What size rims are on it, 17,18? They look very tall for 16.5s.

6inches sounds too much, I agree with the other guys here, you might get 2 inches but not 6

Great find

viperdave

Old 09-29-2020, 06:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the truck but WHY do so many people want to LOWER their trucks? Many good trucks have been ruined this way. I had a 78 version of your truck, mine came factory with that same 360 in it.... one I wish I had back

Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only dually truck that was actually functional And lowered was a 86 dually extra cab I saw many years ago

yes it was lowered but...............it had a blown 426 hemi and the rear tires were slicks and filled the rear wheel tubs!! Lol

I also never understood lowering a dually, but many have been lowered, back in 2002 my ex wife and I , (wife at the time) were on our way back from Death Valley to Los Angeles driveing my new Jeep Wrangler with a 3 in lift and 33in tires and stopped to get gas in Mojave when I over heard a guy on the phone trying to get a tow truck out there to get his truck un stuck but nobody would go the 2 miles down a dirt road to help him

ofcourse I offered to help and what I saw was pathetic, a brand new 2002 dodge diesel dually, 2wd and it was slammed to the ground and stuck up to the frame in loose dirt/sand. After actualy pulling him out 3 times I managed to get him near enough to the road where he could get traction and drive out, got $100 bucks from him! He said he lowered it cuz it looked cool, well it’s totally non-functional except on smooth roads

what a waste of a beautiful truck!!

viperdave

Quick Reply: Pre 1st Gen Suspension