1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random input requested on some exhaust work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Random input requested on some exhaust work.

So in the middle off hauling a bed load of building supplies I developed a crack in my exhaust right on the front weld of my catalytic converter.

My question is this, should I
A. pay $30 to have a local exhaust shop to weld the crack.
B. Go to the part store and buy a length of pipe and pair of clamps and cut the cat out
C. Just leave it as is until I could order/ rebuild the system in a few weeks when money’s not as tight.

I have original manifolds, probably never removed, original y pipe with a small converter on one side also probably never removed, and a poorly muffled dual tip system that was probably a replacement for the old system in the late 90’s

for what it’s worth my county in GA doesn’t have emissions.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:00 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would say get it welded up. unless you got a built engine spending much money on the exhaust is a bit pointless. also just because you don't have emissions testing doesn't mean there are not tickets that can be given out for removing the cat. around here we got MOE and MTO that both like to hand out tickets for stuff like that.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Polye86_RoyalSE
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i would say get it welded up. unless you got a built engine spending much money on the exhaust is a bit pointless. also just because you don't have emissions testing doesn't mean there are not tickets that can be given out for removing the cat. around here we got MOE and MTO that both like to hand out tickets for stuff like that.
that’s what I was thinking, but figured maybe the reason for the crack may be a clogged and running-hot converter. As far as removing it, around here if it’s more then 25 years old they don’t care what you do to it as long as it doesn’t create a hazardous driving condition for yourself or those you share the road with. But called the exhaust shop and got put on the schedule to weld it up for now.

thanks for the $0.02

Old 10-10-2020, 06:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the pipe may just be weak. i had the pipe crack where the 2 pipes became 1 on my 81. replaced the y pipe and was fine after that. also i am pretty sure the catalytic converters may fall under federal. MOE is ministry of environment. most of the time they usually go after people in farm country mainly going after people who run red fuel in street driven vehicles and such but also may go after a vehicle if they think it is missing emission equipment they will look and ticket you if your are. MTO is Ministry transportation Ontario. they mainly focus on big truck safety but also look for older vehicles and they will nail you for stuff like no cat or no mufflers but i would rather get his with a no muffler ticket than the no cat ticket.

The following users liked this post:
Polye86_RoyalSE (10-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Random input requested on some exhaust work.