1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What transmission type do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 11:14 PM
Joseph Valpatic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What transmission type do I have?

I'm new here, and my names Joseph Valpatic. I have a 1988 Dodge D100 2WD single cab that I'm in the process of fixing up to someday restore. I've recently done quite a bit of work including painting my wheels and all new lighting! I'm planning on switching the 239 3.9l V6 out for the model variant, 360 5.9l V8. Which brings me to my first questions!

I've been looking all over the internet on how to decipher transmission vins but still cant find anyway to know for certain which transmission I have. If anyone could help me out, the vin is PK4431425. I need help knowing whether it's an A-727, A999, A-500, etc.

Also anyone who has the 360 V8, or has swapped their V6 for one, do you know if the engine mounts are the same? Do they make an engine mount adapter kit? Are they the same only for a certain year gap? Would the V8 line up with my trans? Or did they use a bigger or just better paired trans for the V8?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-19-2020, 09:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

If you plan on a 360 a good idea would be to get a magnum 360 with a 46rh. It will handle added power and you will have overdrive. You will have to move the trans support back some and shorten the drive shaft but well worth the effort.

The following users liked this post:
93 ragtop (12-19-2020)

Quick Reply: What transmission type do I have?