1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3 speed manual transmission????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Victoria_w150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 speed manual transmission????

I have a manual 1984 Dodge W150. Mr.Transmission told me that the transmission is a 3 speed manual transmission. This doesn’t make sense to me because I was under the impression from my research that these trucks only came in 4 speed for manual transmissions, the np435. I’m having transmission problems and need to find linkages for it, but I can’t do so because I don’t even know what transmission I have. Mr.Transmission told me that it looks factory, not like some modification that someone could’ve done. Can anyone please help me??? Does anyone know about 3 speed manual transmissions in these trucks??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-06-2021, 08:59 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoria_w150
I have a manual 1984 Dodge W150. Mr.Transmission told me that the transmission is a 3 speed manual transmission. This doesn’t make sense to me because I was under the impression from my research that these trucks only came in 4 speed for manual transmissions, the np435. I’m having transmission problems and need to find linkages for it, but I can’t do so because I don’t even know what transmission I have. Mr.Transmission told me that it looks factory, not like some modification that someone could’ve done. Can anyone please help me??? Does anyone know about 3 speed manual transmissions in these trucks??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a column shift or floor shift? If it's on the column, it's probably a 3 speed. Floor shifters are for the 4 speed. My interchange books stop at 1979 on transmissions, but both were available and there were two different 4 speeds. One with 4.88 low range and a 6.88 low range.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Victoria_w150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, it’s a floor shift, not a column shift. It’s all just very odd to me. Mr.transmission went over the transmission, that’s how they know for sure it’s a 3 speed manual. There has to be some weird misunderstanding or something going on, because floor shifts can’t be 3 speed manual, like I know that’s what they told me but it doesn’t make any sense! Thanks for your help!

Old 03-06-2021, 01:50 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoria_w150
Hey, it’s a floor shift, not a column shift. It’s all just very odd to me. Mr.transmission went over the transmission, that’s how they know for sure it’s a 3 speed manual. There has to be some weird misunderstanding or something going on, because floor shifts can’t be 3 speed manual, like I know that’s what they told me but it doesn’t make any sense! Thanks for your help!

I got out of the salvage business about the time your truck was built. Dodge was a more business oriented truck against Ford and Chevy that were building cookie cutter equipment. They may have done away with column shifts on manual transmissions around 1980. There were a lot of tweaks done to improve the service capabilities of the trucks in the early to mid 1980's. See if there are any tags on the transmission. There will be one on the transfer case, but that's for the transfer case, not the transmission. There may also be a sticker in the door that tells you what the transmission is. Usually, a letter code.Needing shifter linkages, it may very well be a 3 speed. At least one of the two 4 speeds is a top loader and it doesn't have linkages.

See if you can find the data sticker in the door. It may be on the door itself or the door jamb. It will tell you a lot about the truck and we can go from there. It'll usually have the VIN, date built, axles and so on.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

You can also get the casting # on the case of the trans and look it up that way.

Quick Reply: 3 speed manual transmission????