1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight switch 81 Dodge d250

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 11:05 PM
Harley Rick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch 81 Dodge d250

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement headlight switch for an 81 Dodge d250? I need one and all the reviews I read on the Standard, DIY etc say their junk. I only want to RR once as it is a PIA! Thank you.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Rick
Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement headlight switch for an 81 Dodge d250? I need one and all the reviews I read on the Standard, DIY etc say their junk. I only want to RR once as it is a PIA! Thank you.

At 40 years old, you're going to be limited on what's available. I've used Standard parts over the years but they are probably made out of Chinesium now. Unfortunately, that's what's available. I agree the switch can be a joy to work on, especially my thick arms getting to the button to pull the ****. I've seen switches that are a lot worse though. You can try going to Ebay and see what's available. There may be an NOS dealer part available.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:53 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

You might not get away from Chinese.
Dodge ran the full load of the lighting system through the headlight switch. Any internet parrot crying about switch quality is ignoring the crappy 40year old, tiny gauge factory wiring on both sides overloading the switch. Change the switch with whatever seems to be of quality and consider building a relay set to run your forward lighting, take the load off of the switch.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:10 AM
Harley Rick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the feedback and thank you. I found a Duralast switch at AutoZone yesterday and installed it. Taking the old one out and examining it found it to be pretty dirty but generally in good condition. I still replaced it with the new one but it did not solve anything. I'm still having lighting issues that I guess I am just going to have to keep trying to track down.

Quick Reply: Headlight switch 81 Dodge d250