1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal gremlin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:23 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Rick
Ok. So here's the deal. I think I narrowed the turn signal issue to the neutral safety switch. When I put the truck in reverse it instantly blows the fuse otherwise the signal works fine. I had put a new switch in a few weeks ago so I did not think that could be an issue. However if I put in a new fuse after I disconnected the switch and put it in reverse the fuse does not blow! Of course the truck won't start either. Is it possible the new switch could be bad or should I concentrate on the wiring leading to it or the plug?

I'm trying to remember how your truck is wired. Are you dealing with the neutral safety switch or the reverse light switch? Try unhooking the reverse lights and see if the fuse blows. Your truck should start, although you won't have back up lights.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:14 PM
Harley Rick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I'm trying to remember how your truck is wired. Are you dealing with the neutral safety switch or the reverse light switch? Try unhooking the reverse lights and see if the fuse blows. Your truck should start, although you won't have back up lights.
Arent they the same? I've never seen a reverse switch and from all I read about my truck the neutral switch has three prongs. One is the safety switch and than two others are the reverse lights. When I unplugged the safety switch the fuse didnt blow when I put the truck in reverse but it wouldn't start either. There was power to the fuse box however even without starting. But no blown fuse!

Old 03-22-2021, 06:10 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Rick
Arent they the same? I've never seen a reverse switch and from all I read about my truck the neutral switch has three prongs. One is the safety switch and than two others are the reverse lights. When I unplugged the safety switch the fuse didnt blow when I put the truck in reverse but it wouldn't start either. There was power to the fuse box however even without starting. But no blown fuse!

I don't think the switches are the same on your truck. I think the switch you're looking at works the park and neutral functions. Reverse lights may work on a switch on the shifter. I don't have a wiring diagram and it's been years since I had a first gen., but I think the three prongs on your switch are one for power, one for neutral and one for park.I've worked on so many vehicles over the years, I just can't remember right now.We're talking 1960's and '70s wiring practices here.

Quick Reply: Turn signal gremlin?