1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

83 D150 help with Throttle Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 09:45 PM
Michael Sunseri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 D150 help with Throttle Linkage

I am working on my 1983 D150 Royal with an automatic 318 2br. I decided to change out the cast iron intake with an aluminum intake to change her over to a 4br. I decided on an Edelbrock performer carb. Most of you now know what im about to ask. What i need is an explanation of the throttle linkage and how to get this all to work together. I have purchased the adapter for carb. but from what I can tell all it does is allow the throttle cable connector to connect to the carb. Chrysler has a rod that comes from the pedal that connects to a weird connector to act as a change over for the throttle cable and if my research is correct act as a kickdown to the transmission.
Please bear with me I am not an engine guy and i'm mainly asking because my best friend who is a true grease monkey who helped me with the teardown was never a mopar guy

Old 06-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Psykod

I know I'm late to this but just as an FYI, the rod connected to the throttle linkage isn't just for kickdown. It's for controlling throttle pressure via the throttle control valve. I've been working on adjusting mine for a while because I added taller valve covers and the original linkage contacts the back of the cover before the carb returns to idle. Please don't drive with it disconnected or you will burn up your transmission clutches.

The kit you purchased for the Edelbrock carb should have had something with a short rod that the linkage attaches to.

Based on this post, you might need Edelbrock part #1481 along with some pin: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...k-carb.166533/

Good Luck.

Last edited by Psykod; 06-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Psykod

Edit: After re-reading the OP, I may have misunderstood what you were asking. If so, please disregard.

Quick Reply: 83 D150 help with Throttle Linkage