1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First Gen Radio? Need one please

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 11:07 AM
James Jamie Soule
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Gen Radio? Need one please

My '83 w250 radio is shot - the volume pot is toast due to much dirt in the cab and cleaning it with DeOxit has not yielded result -volume is stuck on high. Anyone have an older Audivox SPS model CP-CXP Stock Model No. 82-CP-CXPS siting on a shelf somewhere? if so, please contact me -this is the silverface unit, early 80's with cassette - Or, has anyone found a double din install kit and head that works well and looks good on the first gens? Thanks

Last edited by James Jamie Soule; 05-08-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:57 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Question

the hole is only 1.5 din so double din won't fit. you should be able to get a stereo out of a 90'd dodge that will fit but just make sure not to get one with the bose system. those need amps for the speakers. personally i would just stick a newer aftermarket unit in there. easier and you can buy something with cool option. i even went mechless with 1 of my vehicles and the stereo is a lot smaller.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:33 AM
James Jamie Soule
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks crazywolffie - my oem radio is about 3-4 inches tall -are you sure only 1.5 DIN?

Old 05-10-2021, 05:59 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i am 100% sure. the opening is bit over 3" but no where near the 4" tall required to run a 2 din. 1.5 din is 3"

Old 05-10-2021, 07:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by James Jamie Soule
My '83 w250 radio is shot - the volume pot is toast due to much dirt in the cab and cleaning it with DeOxit has not yielded result -volume is stuck on high. Anyone have an older Audivox SPS model CP-CXP Stock Model No. 82-CP-CXPS siting on a shelf somewhere? if so, please contact me -this is the silverface unit, early 80's with cassette - Or, has anyone found a double din install kit and head that works well and looks good on the first gens? Thanks
The factory radios up to 2000 (2001 on the Jeep Cherokee) will fit. I doubt you'll find one with the 8 track but you can find them with cassette players. I had a 2001 Cherokee that had both a cassette and CD player. A lot of salvage yards don't even pull these anymore. The only thing to watch for is do you have two plugs on the back of your radio? There should be a black and a grey one. If you do, it will plug right in.Sometime in the late 70's to early 80's is when they went to the two plugs. /earlier radios will fit in the hole from the late 1970's, but the plugs are different.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:47 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the stereos with cd and cassette require the external amps that our vehicles don't have. i know i have tried 2 different ones and they put out sound for a minute or 2 until i would assume i trip the over load and speakers shut off.

Quick Reply: First Gen Radio? Need one please