1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92/93 Fuel Pump 5 Pin connector

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92/93 Fuel Pump 5 Pin connector

Are there any aftermarket pigtails for the fuel pump? I've got a 93 30gal Tank and just got the fuel pump, but it's a different shape than the '88. I haven't had any luck trying to find them on a google search, but might be searching the wrong thing.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:29 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

I know some of the late 80's early 90's pumps are discontinued(aftermarket). Some of the pumps have pigtails to adapt the pump plug to the vehicle(should come with the pump). If you are running a 93 tank on a 88 truck you may have to make your own.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:45 PM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
I know some of the late 80's early 90's pumps are discontinued(aftermarket). Some of the pumps have pigtails to adapt the pump plug to the vehicle(should come with the pump). If you are running a 93 tank on a 88 truck you may have to make your own.
I grabbed a Carter P74660M off Amazon (Rock Auto listed this as compatible with the '93 360 30gal Tank) and didn't come with the pigtail. I'll probably roam around Autozone/Advanced Autos tomorrow to see if they have any 5 pins that'll lock in. Then it's figuring out which color to which pin for the new pump. iirc, from what I've been able to find from other forums is that the colors on stock harness' are the same between the 88 style and the 90's style. I also have an 87 Parts truck that I planned on using the tank, only to find that 87 had the fuel pump in the engine instead of an external one mounted on the tank.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:36 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Rockauto lists a Standard S706, have a look and see if that is yours. Failing that, I've had good luck over the years using factory parts manuals for the original parts number and looking them up that way, rather than looking for a haystack needle on Scroogle.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Rockauto lists a Standard S706, have a look and see if that is yours. Failing that, I've had good luck over the years using factory parts manuals for the original parts number and looking them up that way, rather than looking for a haystack needle on Scroogle.
hahahaha did you even look at the part you mention? it is just a standard relay connector and not a fuel pump connector. rockauto does that a lot. they call those relay connectors something they are not. i couldn't find any so it will likely be a tricky to find part.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Not able to find the FSM to find actual part numbers, and that Rockauto listing (as is Summit's) is for the relay, not for the pump itself. Advanced Auto/Autozone were a crapshoot, which I expected, so I've emailed Carter's tech support to see if they offer a plug or know of anyone who does that fits.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:34 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you could ask the guys on RCC. one of them may have one or a parts truck sitting around. i know they used the connector for at least 3 years or maybe even more. it just doesn't seem like a part that would fail very often. looks like they may have used the same connector on the ram vans from 91-96 and 91-95 dakota's. these things can sometimes be a lot easier to find in the junk yards than the trucks or ramchargers.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:58 PM
Maki
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
you could ask the guys on RCC. one of them may have one or a parts truck sitting around. i know they used the connector for at least 3 years or maybe even more. it just doesn't seem like a part that would fail very often. looks like they may have used the same connector on the ram vans from 91-96 and 91-95 dakota's. these things can sometimes be a lot easier to find in the junk yards than the trucks or ramchargers.
Main problem I have is that the JY's around here have scrapped almost everything pre-2000 (Yay city areas). I ended up driving 6 hours down to the NC border to get one for $10 from a guy parting out a 92 D250. Now comes the fun part of mounting the new tank, splicing wires (and hope they're correct), and installing a fitting to stick the return line into.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:14 PM
Maki
Amateur

Update on this. Got the new tank and pump installed on the truck. Need to pick up fittings to cut a hole and attach the return line, but the truck fires up. Unknown if it's a faster fire up yet until the return line is on and I get more than 2 gallons of gas in the tank. Also not sure if the gauge is reading correctly or not

For anyone finding this on a google search, most likely the only way to find the 5 pin flat plug is going to be sourcing it from a truck of that year. My neighbor says his 95 Dakota has the same plug (318) so that may open up more JY options. Something else of note, the 88 had 2 gray wires while the harness had 1 that split into the plug. I just connected all 3 as from my research, they're all grounds. The straps from my 22gal fit perfectly on the 30. I haven't changed any of the old gas lines (yet). I'll try to get pics tomorrow if it's not raining.

Wiring:
93 88
Blue/Yellow - Blue
Green/Black - Green
Gray - Both Grays

Quick Reply: 92/93 Fuel Pump 5 Pin connector