1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Searching- Wheels that fit - from other vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:23 AM
JamesWoods
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching- Wheels that fit - from other vehicles

I’m looking to put a list together of wheels from other vehicles that fit the first gen.

I have an 82’ D150 with 5x114(5x4.5”)

am I right that most if not all Jeep wheels will fit.

Because posts are better with pics, this is the truck they would go on. I may go with some stockish looking Steelies or just refurbish these. Basically looking at options so if wandering the junk yard I know what ones I could grab.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts
The following users liked this post:
JamesWoods (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 10:37 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWoods
I’m looking to put a list together of wheels from other vehicles that fit the first gen.

I have an 82’ D150 with 5x114(5x4.5”)

am I right that most if not all Jeep wheels will fit.

Because posts are better with pics, this is the truck they would go on. I may go with some stockish looking Steelies or just refurbish these. Basically looking at options so if wandering the junk yard I know what ones I could grab.

I usually paint my wheels black and then replace the lug nuts with chrome ones for a bit of contrast. While you have 5 on 4 1/2 bolt patterns, not ALL wheels will go on. Ford and Mercury wheels for instance will bolt up but the center hole is slightly smaller. It's possible to honk them down and get them on, but you can't get them off if you have a flat unless you enlarge the hole a touch.

The 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern was widely used as far back as the late 1930's, so you have a lot of options but be sure to get the safety wheels that came out in the mid 1950's.

JamesWoods (11-29-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:43 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Jeep wheels like YJ, XJ (cherokee), KJ (liberty) and TJ fit the bolt pattern... but the offset can be a problem.

Many ford car and ranger/explorer wheels have the right pattern and suitable offset, but the center hole needs to be opened up. This is one way to get to 16" wheels.

Dodge van and truck wheels 84-older may be your best bet for direct fit.

JamesWoods (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 08:24 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by u2slow
Jeep wheels like YJ, XJ (cherokee), KJ (liberty) and TJ fit the bolt pattern... but the offset can be a problem.

Many ford car and ranger/explorer wheels have the right pattern and suitable offset, but the center hole needs to be opened up. This is one way to get to 16" wheels.

In 1984, only 2wd trucks used 5 on 4 1/2. The 4wd trucks used the larger bolt pattern.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:03 AM
JamesWoods

Originally Posted by u2slow

thwre is a set of Cherokee rims locally. Would they be higher offset? What problems are there with the offset?

Old 12-01-2021, 12:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

thwre is a set of Cherokee rims locally. Would they be higher offset? What problems are there with the offset?

Place a straight edge across the rim on the inside. Use a tape measure to measure from the straight edge to the flat part that sits against the brake drum or hub. This is your off set. If the XJ wheels are the same, they will fit just fine. If they measure less, the wheels will sick out past the fenders. If they measure more, the wheels will tuck in and possibly rub against the frame or fanders.

JamesWoods (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 03:24 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
In 1984, only 2wd trucks used 5 on 4 1/2. The 4wd trucks used the larger bolt pattern.
Agreed. And vans thru 84 also since they're 2wd.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:15 AM
JamesWoods

For those interested. Yes the keep Cherokee’s wheels fit. They are a 7” wheel with about a 5.5” offset. Stock is 6.5” wheel with about a 4.5” offset. They got very close to stock mount location. The extra rim width goes to the inside. The stock sits so far inside the fenders, I’d prefer a little Lower offset. I believe about a 3” will be perfect. I can say 2” is too much as you can see on the pic with the black wheel. I bought the keep wheels for the almost brand new tires, but I’ll be selling the wheels off as the keep wheels aren’t the look I want

Last edited by JamesWoods; 12-04-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

For those interested. Yes the keep Cherokee’s wheels fit. They are a 7” wheel with about a 5.5” offset. Stock is 6.5” wheel with about a 4.5” offset. They got very close to stock mount location. The extra rim width goes to the inside. The stock sits so far inside the fenders, I’d prefer a little Lower offset. I believe about a 3” will be perfect. I can say 2” is too much as you can see on the pic with the black wheel. I bought the keep wheels for the almost brand new tires, but I’ll be selling the wheels off as the keep wheels aren’t the look I want

Back around 2001 or so, I got a deal on a Jeep XJ Cherokee. I didn't like the wheels. A coworker bought a Jeep Wrangler and put fancy wheels on it. I bought his take off wheels (just like the one on your rear axle) and I painted them gloss black and left the center cap natural. It really set the body off by letting the eye linger on it instead of drawing the eye to the wheels. It complimented rather than distracted. I had several people ask where I got the wheels and said they were stock, just painted. I like black because it doesn't show brake dust. Once I got the mechanics lined out, the Jeep sold quick and the wheels were what sold it.

Quick Reply: Searching- Wheels that fit - from other vehicles