1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Voltage issue (92 12 valve)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 03:40 AM
BM9NBA2
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i don't think the crank position sensor should effect overdrive but it will effect the charging system if bad. it will not ground the asd if it doesn't sense that the engine is running. stupidly enough on the diesels all the asd relay does is power the alternator 12v field wire.

who said you have to always have to test for power at the battery? last time i checked there is many places in the cab that you can hook up a multi meter to check voltage while driving.
I also haven't tinkered around with the alternator in general at all so I'll have to do that. Only messed around with the driver side electrical.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Problem is these trucks don't like to tow in overdrive
You are not supposed to use OD when towing, It's actually in the owners manual. You can burn up overdrive. With that said did this issue start after towing with OD on?

Old 12-28-2021, 11:08 AM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
You are not supposed to use OD when towing, It's actually in the owners manual. You can burn up overdrive. With that said did this issue start after towing with OD on?
No it started randomly without a trailer behind me.
I know I'm not supposed to tow with overdrive on

Last edited by BM9NBA2; 12-28-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:43 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
The major things to check with a voltage issue on these with a PCM controlled alternator is the cross over cable, battery connections in general for corrosion, tightness, cracks, ect. Next is a good clean connection for the alternator cable, next make sure all chassis, engine and body grounds are clean and solid. Wouldn't hurt to test the battery with truck running for A/C voltage indicating a failed diode trio. A/C voltage in a DC electrical/computer system does some wacky stuff

Im not sure if these 1st gen bodys are the same as newer ones in that they read voltage off drivers side and charge passenger side? I believe the PCM is located behind the drivers headlight in the fender but I might be incorrect on that, assuming im correct that would mean it reads on charges the other. Wouldn't hurt to run a jumper cable between battery posts to see if the issue is resolved that way indicating a poor crossover cable. Personally I had my alternator wire extended to charge the drivers battery, after boiling a new battery, I decided that wasn't going to happen again
Don't know what the deal is drove the truck around for about a half hour seems fine after resetting the pcm and messing around with the terminals. I turned it off and turned the truck back on again in between because sometimes things don't work properly after the truck being restarted such as the overdrive. I just finished up reinstalling a new potentiometer though and it works great and the voltage seems fine now. No more moving except the grid heater doing its normal routine for the winter.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:42 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

🤦‍♂️ now the same symptoms are occurring. Just attempted to drive it again.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:10 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Voltage is surging quite a bit,
When I was driving today though it was going all wacko.
What does the gauge on the dash go down to then up to when it acts up? Does your speedo work? Turn the OD off then go past 45mph then turn the OD back on. What will it do in that case? Are you sure it's OD and not lock up? Lock up is about a 200 rpm difference.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:42 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

What does the gauge on the dash go down to then up to when it acts up? Does your speedo work? Turn the OD off then go past 45mph then turn the OD back on. What will it do in that case? Are you sure it's OD and not lock up? Lock up is about a 200 rpm difference.
It goes down to what the voltage is when the truck isn't running with just the key on. I think it may be the grid heater that's causing the issue because that's about where it goes to. The grid heater functions properly when warming up though I always let it go through its cycle. These trucks didn't have lockup till 95 except for the gas trucks they had it since the 80s I believe.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:23 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

It doesn't go over its normal voltage of 14.4-14.7. I'm gonna unhook the grid heater tommorow as I've already cleaned all the connections so one of the relays must be acting up or something.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:49 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Im not as familiar with these as Id like to be, newer trucks cycle the grid heater based off intake temp/road speed after the the truck is running. Are these using some type of sensor/timer to cycle the heater? Could that temp sensor be faulty, RE trans I know for sure will change shifting based on cold temps. Would the RH/727 remove OD if said temp is also to low. I know alot of speculation/guessing just ideas to think about. I know even my old 5.7 would cycle the plugs after running but I never had to deal with the voodoo module that does it

Old 12-29-2021, 11:03 AM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Im not as familiar with these as Id like to be, newer trucks cycle the grid heater based off intake temp/road speed after the the truck is running. Are these using some type of sensor/timer to cycle the heater? Could that temp sensor be faulty, RE trans I know for sure will change shifting based on cold temps. Would the RH/727 remove OD if said temp is also to low. I know alot of speculation/guessing just ideas to think about. I know even my old 5.7 would cycle the plugs after running but I never had to deal with the voodoo module that does it
It does have a sensor for the intake temperature I'm pretty sure. It did do this to me a couple months ago, but as soon as I saw the grid heater clicking while I was pulling out of my driveway while the truck was warm I cleaned a bunch of the connections and it stopped. So it must be acting up again.

Quick Reply: Voltage issue (92 12 valve)