1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 wheel drive wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 05:04 PM
renegadeheat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive wont engage

I have a 1983 dodge W250 that I cant get the front axles to engage. It has manual locking hubs. When I shift the t-case into 4H or 4L the front drive shaft locks in and turns but the front axles will not engage (ie the front tires do not spin). I am assuming the problem is with the locking hubs. I am looking for info on what I should look for as far as a failure and any steps for diagnosing the problem. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Leave the truck in park, jack up the front end, lock the hubs in, and spin one tire. The other tire should spin the other way. If it doesn't, watch the universal joint while you spin the tire, does it turn as well? If so, then that hub is working, check the other side.

The following users liked this post:
renegadeheat (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 08:55 PM
renegadeheat

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Leave the truck in park, jack up the front end, lock the hubs in, and spin one tire. The other tire should spin the other way. If it doesn't, watch the universal joint while you spin the tire, does it turn as well? If so, then that hub is working, check the other side.
thanks for the suggestion, ill try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:15 PM
renegadeheat

Originally Posted by HeyYou
i did as suggested and when i spin either side the other side doesnt move. Only the side i spin turns with both hubs locked

Old 04-07-2022, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Does the driveshaft turn? Do the u-joints in the knuckles turn?

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive wont engage