1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 03:13 PM
tjco
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering shaft replacement

Looking to replace the steering box and shaft on my ‘92 w150. It has a 318 and a 5 speed if that turns out to be relevant for whatever reason. Heard good things about the redhead steering box and borgeson shaft so I ordered those and a rag joint. Now that I’m looking at my truck though, it doesn’t appear to have a rag joint. The shaft coming down from the column has splines on it just like the shaft on the stock steering box. So I assume I have the wrong steering shaft, but I don’t see any for first gens that connect to splines on both ends. They sell them for second gen trucks but the steering shafts they have marked to fit a first gen are supposed to connect to the column with a rag joint. Anybody have input on this? Did they change up the way it connects for the last few years of the first gen or something?

Old 12-31-2022, 09:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

If i remember correctly they use a steering coupler, Should look like this. You may want to inspect it also because it can wear and can cause slop in the steering.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:19 PM
tjco
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
If i remember correctly they use a steering coupler, Should look like this. You may want to inspect it also because it can wear and can cause slop in the steering.
That looks more like what my truck has. Guess I did end up buying the wrong shaft then because there’s no way that’d connect to the one I’ve got. I found a borgeson shaft for second gens that looks more like what I need so I think I’m gonna try ordering that one and see if I can’t get it to work. The steering is real sloppy yeah, the box is worn out and the steering shaft that’s on it is causing a lot of play as well. The little u joints on it have a lot of wiggle in them. I can get about 1/8 of a turn either direction on the steering wheel without moving the wheels. Thanks for the help, hopefully I’ll get it figured out here soon.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you need steering shaft 000940. you can buy knock of ones for much cheaper on ebay
https://www.borgeson.com/Dodge-Truck...dge-Truck.html

Quick Reply: Steering shaft replacement