1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Fire 85 Dodge D150

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 11:02 AM
TheaMo67
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
no it doesn't. i would also suggest never leaving one of them ignition modules in a glove box or toolbox without putting it in a bag. i would also suggest painting the back to try and limit how much goo comes out of the back of them. maybe the new ones are sealed with something better but i have had similar things happen with a spare ignition module i had in my glove box. it didn't leak too much of the sealant out but was extremely hard to remove from anything it got on.
Yeah, The module goo is still stuck to the fire wall. The same thing happened with the voltage regulator. The goo is still stuck on the firewall from this too.

It ran before, what ever it takes, it will run again.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by TheaMo67
Where would this fuse be? Is it a fusible link? I did find a fusible link tucked into all that wiring along the firewall, but I haven't a clue what it goes to. Or if you're talking about the fuses under the dash, they are all good. I've decided that I am going to install a new distributor, as the shaft is slightly bent on the one on my truck, however, the truck still ran with it bent. The new distributor I am going to put in is an HEI. The ignition coil and the ignition control module are built into the cap. I believe this will eliminate my problem. However, I don't know if this fuse you are talking about will interfere with this new distributor, so I need to know where the fuse is so I can check it out.

It ran before, what ever it takes, it will run again.

I'm trying to remember how the GM HEI works.I think the shaft is straight and a tab fits into a slot on a gear driven by the cam shaft. The Mopar distributor has a gear on it and a tab to fit into the oil pump. Pertronix has kits to convert points ignition to electronic. I'm concerned that your shaft was bent. That sets up a lot of disorderly harmonics in the engine mechanics. When you crank the engine, does it sound different than it did when it was running?

Have you checked the engine to make sure the cam and crankshafts are in time? When engaging the starter, does it seem to spin faster and smoother?

Old 01-25-2023, 05:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TheaMo67
The new distributor I am going to put in is an HEI. The ignition coil and the ignition control module are built into the cap.
i just figure i would throw it out there but i have heard those generally don't fit these trucks very well without having to hammer on the firewall to make clearance. if it was my truck i would just trouble shoot what is there. there is really not much to the ignition system.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You can use a Pertronics module(in the distributor)and all you will have is the coil outside and you won't have to buy another distributor. Can do the same thing with a MSD(and will perform better). Putting GM parts in a mopar.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
You can use a Pertronics module(in the distributor)and all you will have is the coil outside and you won't have to buy another distributor.
if the distributor shaft is bent it would likely need to be replaced anyways so they would need a new distributor either way. also it is pretty common for people to use gm ignition modules to do the HEI thing. i have never seen the need and always found the stock 4 pin setup to work pretty good for me.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:53 PM
TheaMo67
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys,
So, I discovered that the HEI Distributor will not fit. Good thing I got it from Amazon, so I can return it. However, I checked the resistance on the pink wire from the ballast resistor to the ignition coil, and the numbers were jumping all over the place. So, it seems I am having a wiring issue. crazywolfie told me about a wiring harness from Summit Racing (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-851010), but I don't think that harness has the pink wire going to the ballast. I do need a new distributor because of the bent shaft on the one I have now, but it ran before with a bent shaft. I am seriously at an impasse here, and I really need my truck to run. I have no clue what to do. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it. But if you have anymore ideas, please shoot them to me.

Thea

Old 01-28-2023, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

So get a stock distributor, and fix the wire.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:56 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

if you think the pink wire is the issue then just use a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the positive terminal of the coil. it will either work or it wont.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:20 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Get an electronic distributor from before the lean burn came out and a wire harness for it. They used to everywhere in junk yards but don't know about today. You can buy the kit from Mopar Performance or look on ebay for a used set up. This is a knockoff of the MP unit, It seems the MP kit #P3690426 is not available but that is the part # if you want to look around. I think you can buy the distributor/parts separate if you want to go that route.

Quick Reply: No Fire 85 Dodge D150