1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I知 so confused so I came to forums to see if someone can help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Mattycrego
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I知 so confused so I came to forums to see if someone can help

So, recently my 1985 dodge d-250 had been acting a bit strange. Just as a warning I do beat the **** out of this truck but I致e been pretty easy lately. So whenever I go to make a pull full throttle, it値l make it through first just fine, goes into second gear pulls through second until about half way through or 3/4 the way through then just starts to stutter and want to die. Most of the time before I could pump the gas or throw it into neutral and it wouldn稚 die but now it seems like it just dies, no chance to stop it. The next issue is getting into third, it痴 like the truck doesn稚 want to do so, I have to get completely out of the throttle to do so then it revs up jumps and gets into third. Can someone give me an idea of what痴 going on Ty..

Old 03-29-2023, 11:50 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like the kick down linkage possibly needs to be adjusted if you want it to shift sooner without letting off the throttle.

have you ever replaced the fuel filter? the stutter or stalling could be the carb running out of fuel. does the truck have a return line? if so may be worth trying to plug the return line and see if it helps.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:30 PM
Mattycrego

I mean that would make sense on the kick down linkage I値l see what that does. But I have not replaced the fuel filter as well so I値l see what that does. Ty for the help. While you池e at it, the truck doesn稚 like to start cold at all, if it sits for 3-5 hours or longer it won稚 start without a bit of gas in the carb.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:37 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

have you tried cranking the engine, then pumping the gas pedal then cranking it again? could be a leaky wore out carb.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:58 PM
Mattycrego

Yeah I致e tried all the tricks in the book. And possibly

Old 03-29-2023, 08:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

everything you said points to a fuel supply problem.

Quick Reply: I知 so confused so I came to forums to see if someone can help