1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92(IC) 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 05:03 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 92(IC) 12 valve

Hey fellas so I wrapped up on Wednesday with the kdp, timing case bolts, front main, water pump, thermostat, coolant system flush, new radiator, and new CAT coolant with distilled water . Not sure why, but so far have only been able to fit a little over 4 gallons(16.5 qts) in the system, but about 20 quarts came out for first initial drain of the system. It's been taking a little bit from the Coolant overflow, but very little. The coolant was a bit brutal that came out for the first drain and then I used blue devil coolant flush with water to flush the system.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:49 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

I had decided to leave the old thermostat in for the flush and replaced it afterwards this way when I drained the flush out I ran the hose against the block where the thermostat would be to get everything else out. So the block should've been empty. I let the flush run through the system for about an hour and a half which it took like an hour for her to warm up anyways(no grid heater or ksb) then drove the truck for a few minutes and let the coolant flush sit for about 2 hours while the truck was cooling down.

Last edited by BM9NBA2; 04-22-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

There will always be some in the block. If you run it, the thermostat opens, and the level doesn't really go down, it's full. Keep an eye on it for a couple days, and if level stays good, yer done.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:44 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There will always be some in the block. If you run it, the thermostat opens, and the level doesn't really go down, it's full. Keep an eye on it for a couple days, and if level stays good, yer done.
Alright yea I just had hoped I had gotten all the old coolant out, but it is what it is. The temp shows that its insanely lower now on the gauge which is a good thing I guess because it must be cooling a lot better, but I used my temp gun and it's at the proper thermostat temp 180°F by cylinder #6. I had thought the thermostat was stuck open once I seen the gauge, but its not. Next year I'm probably gonna take the lower water housing off anyways and check inside there to see how it looks and replace the oil cooler also and oil cooler gaskets while I'm there so will flush the system again then.

Old 04-25-2023, 04:52 PM
William Scott
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what coolant do you actually use ?

Last edited by William Scott; 04-25-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:44 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by William Scott
what coolant do you actually use ?
Caterpillar coolant ELC ec-1

Quick Reply: 92(IC) 12 valve