1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

84 D150 Headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 10:41 AM
TruckGirlie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 D150 Headlights not working

Hey everyone so I have been working on my late Grandpa’s truck, got it up and running in a few days. The truck is running well BUT electrical work is my weakness and I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I cannot for the life of me get the headlights to come on. Replaced both thinking that was the issue but nope, checked wiring for any signs of chewing or damage and checked all the fuses. I’m not seeing anything obvious but I am missing something somewhere.

Any advice is appreciated I don’t have any more male family members and no friends that like the older models like me and I don’t want to be take it to a shop if I can avoid it, I get overcharged immediately because I’m a female and honestly I’m too stubborn to accept it’s something I can’t do myself.

Old 06-17-2024, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I can't find wiring diagrams for that... but, do you have a meter, and know how to use it???

See where you are losing power. If there is a specific fuse for headlamps, verify you get power TO it, and across it. Then go to the headlight switch. Verify power at the switch, and power coming out of the switch, move to the headlights, verify you have power there, and then verify you have a good ground.

Where is your dimmer switch on your truck???

Old 06-18-2024, 11:58 AM
TruckGirlie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dimmer switch is on the floor. I do have a meter and have checked the fuses/box everything seems fine there but nothing at the headlamps. I am researching but having a hard time finding resources for this year/model online figured I’d check out the forums for some of y’all’s knowledge

Old 06-18-2024, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Bishko has been the publisher for Chrysler service manuals just this side of forever. Might be worth checking to see if they have one available for your truck in PDF format. Shouldn't be more than 30 bucks or so.... very handy to have.

Are you getting power OUT of the dimmer switch? Being on the floor, it lives in a rather hostile environment, and I have seen the corrode to the point they won't pass voltage any more.

Old 06-19-2024, 12:20 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by TruckGirlie
dimmer switch is on the floor. I do have a meter and have checked the fuses/box everything seems fine there but nothing at the headlamps. I am researching but having a hard time finding resources for this year/model online figured I’d check out the forums for some of y’all’s knowledge

See if you're getting power to the dimmer switch. They were put on the floor when cars were all manual shift. They stayed that way for decades until the 1980's and 90's. The floor position let you keep one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter. Good stout design but decades of wet shoes cause rust inside. I'll bet you're getting power TO it but the dimmer is bad. I had an '84 for about 20 years and replaced mine twice. The last one was right before the truck broke in half.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 06-19-2024 at 12:21 AM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn

Quick Reply: 84 D150 Headlights not working