1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flooding on injected

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 07:02 AM
sidsdodge92
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flooding on injected

another problem popped up that i thought was strange my 92 has injectors and i fired her up and she died like it flooded out or ran out of fuel , took it a bit to fire up and when she did the exhaust spit out lots of smoke like a flooded engine does ?????? why would this be happening with injectors ????????

Old 07-14-2024, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

What color smoke?

Old 07-14-2024, 04:32 PM
sidsdodge92
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What color smoke?
fuel smoke black

Old 07-14-2024, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

Have a scanner that can read live data? See what the PCM thinks coolant temp is.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
sidsdodge92
Amateur

no place to hook up scanner... I do have one though...... the guy i bought it from said his machine said it has an injector thats not quite right...
i have not had much time to park it in garage and really check out this engine (plug wires,ect ect ) just bought the truck and drove it home after that ive been busy getting new house in order....maybe this week end ill really dig into it better....after i put brake pads on the tacoma.......................

Old Today, 07:36 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 582 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by sidsdodge92
no place to hook up scanner... I do have one though...... the guy i bought it from said his machine said it has an injector thats not quite right...
i have not had much time to park it in garage and really check out this engine (plug wires,ect ect ) just bought the truck and drove it home after that ive been busy getting new house in order....maybe this week end ill really dig into it better....after i put brake pads on the tacoma.......................

If I remember correctly, the 1992 has TBI injection. My '93 Dakota was a great running and reliable truck with very few repairs needed besides maintenance. Being a '92, you have a built in scanner. It's your ignition key. Don't unhook the battery as that will erase any codes. You need to do the "key dance" to read the codes. This will even work on 1996 and later models although OBD II scanners will work on '96 and up. The key dance is this;

At no time do you want to hit the starter. From sitting, turn the key to on (run), then off, then on, then off, then on. The third time you tunr it on, watch the check engine light. It will start to flash. For instance, when it flashes once, a pause then twice, that is code 12. You will usually get this but all it means is the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 to 100 key starts. At the end of the test cycle, it will flash 55. This means end of test. Any other codes will tell you where to look for problems.

Quick Reply: flooding on injected