1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No spark after TB to Carburetor conv. & points distr.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 AM
SatanStealth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark after TB to Carburetor conv. & points distr.

Hi,

I recently put on an Edelbock intake manifold, Holley 650 CFM carburetor, I also replaced the Electronic Distributer with a Points w/ vacuum advance. Now i bought a ballast resistor and i'm pretty sure i need it, but i've heard some people say it doesn't need one if it didn't have one already. Now i have tried it hooked up with the resistor from the postive wire to the resistor then to a wire to the pos. terminal on the coil then with the wire from the distributer to the neg. terminal on the coil. tried this, nothing, no spark. We then tried putting a line directly from the battery to the coil and we did get spark, and we were thinking of a switch to put in the cab, for whenever i wanted to start it, well we got spark but it might of been too much, what we need is some sort of diagram that shows how to hook it up to the key to turn it on and off that way like it's suppose to be. we also tried the ballast resistor from the coil to the distributer. nothing, then we tried it with none, also nothing. maybe we had the pos and neg not hooked up right, but i kinda doubt it, we ran out of time and coudntl' work on it anymore, if anybody has a wiring schematic that would be nice, the truck is an 89 with a 318. Any help would be nice,
Thanks,

~Woody

Old 10-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Chump
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No spark after TB to Carburetor conv. & points distr.

The 89 used TBI fuel injection with an electric in-tank fuel pump.
How are you getting fuel to your carb?

Without the electronic distributor you will get no pulses to the computer, this will cut off power to the ignition and fuel system.
Has the computer been removed also?

Quick Reply: No spark after TB to Carburetor conv. & points distr.