1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Dodge Adventure Engine Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 AM
sliraq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dodge Adventure Engine Chatter

I have aquired a 1986 D150 truck that had been sitting for a couple of years.
I bought this truck out in E. Tx. and poured a qt. of Marvel Mystry Oil in the crankcase and drove it 200 miles with it chattering every time I let off the gas.

After checking compression (Engine cold) I have found the following:
Cyl Comp
1 115
2 110
3 90 Bad Valve / Bent Push rod???
4 120
5 100
6 85 Bad Valve / Bent Push rod???
7 145
8 130

Have checked rod bearings and see no sign of excessive wear.
Pulled valve covers and found 2 bent push rods, yep you guessed it Cyl 3 and 6.

Should I go ahead and replace lifters or is it possible that they are ok?

How do I check lifters w/o pulling intake?

Is there a way to remove some of the "clean air" crap and still get this 318 to pass emmissions?

The Smog pump doesnt turn easy, does that mean its bad?

I am not able to totally rebuild at this time.. Which is what I prolly should do...

Geez I have so many questions.... LOL

P.S. This is my first Dodge so be gentle, I'm a converted chevy nut...

Old 10-14-2006, 05:06 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Dodge Adventure Engine Chatter

If the lifters are bad chanches are that the cam is too. I would try the pushrods and see if that takes care of it. How was the oil pressure?
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
sliraq

OMG what a can o worms I got here. I changed the push rods and still had same knocking so I proceeded to pull intake only to find that someone has put solid lifters in this 318. I am told that it came stock with hydraulic lifters. Well I went to O'Reilly Auto and Autozone to find replacements and heres where the fun begins.

The lifter I removed from the truck has no hole in the cup also it will not compress like the ones i bought. The new pushrod has a ball at the end where the one that came out does not.

I have measureed the old lifter and the new one is approx 1/16th longer. But the new pushrod is the same length as the old one.

It would seem that I am going to have to do a complete rebuild.

If you have any ideas they would be appreciated

Thanks
Steve

Old 10-14-2006, 07:45 PM
sliraq

Ran engine w/o valve covers and getting good oil coverage on rocker arms all except #2 and that is the lifter I pulled.

Just installed new oil pressure guage cause I didnt trust the factory guage.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
sliraq

Well now I've pulled the intake and found all 16 lifters were stuck. I have pulled, cleaned and put them back (1 at a time) but I am wondering if I should just replace them.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 PM
sliraq

Nobody gonna even offer any suggestions?
Guess I will look for another forum for further assistance.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you want us to say? Sounds like the thing needs a complete rebuild/overhaul to me. Lifters are cheaper to replace than they are to mess around with. This place has a lot more info for the gen2+ guys than us oldschoolers. You should try ramcharger central.
Here's a weird one: Today I was pulling into the bank and my power steering quit working for a minute. Then it started working again as I was pulling into a spot. I popped the hood and there was coolant splashed everywhere. I'm guessing that something blocked the water pump up and it just stuck, causing the belt to not turn, and then whatever was plugging it up got unstuck and it burped the hell out of the coolant. I have NO idea where it came from.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Chump
Captain

ORIGINAL: sliraq

Nobody gonna even offer any suggestions?
Guess I will look for another forum for further assistance.

If it's still apart than i would consider replacing the lifters. You could try a can of Rislone or a qt of ATF in the oil to help get things freed up. Are the bottoms of the lifters scarred up? Cam lobes?

Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
dodgedakotacrazy
Professional

also...to get oil to the rocker arms its fed through the rocker arm shafts....so if you're not getting oil to the #2 then somethings wrong there also...if someone tells you its "supposed to be" hydrolic lifters its probably "supposed" to be. someone could of ran a soild lifter cam with soild lifters. also is there any adjustments on the rocker arms? if so its mechanical lifter if not its hydrolic and if its hyd. lifters replace them all. same with mechanical. can you get pictures of the lifters and post. i'd just buy a good 318 out of a junkyard and drop in there and then messwith that motor later if you can't rebuild it. the 85 psi on the cyl. could mean alot of bad stuff...it could be bad rings and needs a rebuild. also are you sure the chattering is the lifters and not maybe a rod....take pics of the lifters and pushrods of the new and old and post them..

Quick Reply: My Dodge Adventure Engine Chatter