1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No electrical power when starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
90w150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No electrical power when starting

Hello,
I have been surfing the forums and cant find an answer to my paticular problem, i am hoping some one can help me. My 1990 Ramcharger wount start. I have checked the battery and it is good sitting and when i try to start the engine. I have taped the starter with a hammer to make sure it is not stuck. What happens is when I turn the key to start all the electrical power in my truck turns off and stays off. I have to wait about 15 minets before the power comes back. I hear one click when I turn the key over and then there is nothing. Plus I live in a cold weather climate, I have pulled the relays and warmed them up and made sure there was no water in them. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 01-03-2007, 12:05 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: No electrical power when starting

If you mean by saying "when I turn the key to start all the electrical power in my truck turns off and stays off. I have to wait about 15 minets before the power comes back. I hear one click when I turn the key over and then there is nothing", that the total electrical system is off line, then it is probaly the battery.

Try this, turn on the headlights (or radio ect) and try and start the truck. If when you pull the amps, the lights (or raido) go dead, and then stay off for a bit, what you are more than likly seeing is a shorted cell in the battery. Whena weak cell gets a load, is bows and shorts out to another cell plate. This causes a short and your entire electrical system goes dead untill the plate cools and resumes it's original shape. Then when you try a light load (or meter) all seems normal. This happens with high CCA batteries because they have to pack many plates into a small area to create the high CCA. the plates are thin and wear out. When they become too thin, they can bow and short out.

If this is not the problem you are describing, let me know more details, and I will try to help.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:10 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the battery down to the parts store and get it tested. Sounds like a dead cell to me.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
topsites
Professional

While you're at the auto parts store getting the battery tested, buy a battery post and terminal wire cleaner (cheap, like $2 or $3) and use this when you get back to clean up the battery connection terminals real good inside and out.
The brush looks about like this:

Old 01-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Chump
Captain

Could be a bad ignition switch or the connector/s that plug into it.

Quick Reply: No electrical power when starting