1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Guidance on Removing Wiper Arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Guidance on Removing Wiper Arm

I am getting ready to paint my D350 and would like to remove the wiper arms. The service manual and searches on the internet make reference to a tool, C-3982, for removing the arm. What does this tool precisely do to remove the arm? And, can it be done without this tool? I can see the little clip under the arm, but I don't know if I should push it in or pull it out. It really doesn't want to do either, so I don't want to force it and regret this. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if they are anything like the ones on my 81 i am pretty sure you can remove them with a small slotted screw driver to push the tab away from the splined thing and then you would also need 2 wrenches. 1 to be used as a spacer and the other to pry the arm off.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Crazzywolfie. Just so I do this correctly, I move the tab toward the truck or the wiper arm?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lift the wiper arm off the windshield and pull\pry the little tab out and it will hold the wiper off the windshield. The assembly will then pull off the wiper trans.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

^i don't think it is that easy. have had mine off a couple of times and there has not been a little tab to hold the wipers. i think between 81 and 91 they changed the wiper arms.

you have to pull that tab towards the end that the wiper would be on while trying to pry the wiper off with a wrench. that small metal tab has a bump on it that locks into a on the shaft that rotates.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Comrade General
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 and its quite easy.

You just pull the wiper blades up (like you are washing under them) then pry the tab out (doesnt come that far out) then pull the arm itself straight off. You shouldnt need any tools other than a flathead screwdriver

Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i am guessing he has aluminum wiper arms on his truck like i have on my 81 so it might not be a good idea to try prying on them with a screw driver. like i said somewhere between 81 and 91 they changed the wiper arms. the newer ones are better than the old bayonet style ones. i always find i got to get a good quality wiper for the better quality plastic clip or else the i end up with wipers turning sideways when you need them on my 81. so far i can stick anything on my ram charger

Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Pumbu, I noticed that you are doing a paint job so I doubt you want to pry it with a screwdriver or wrench. I do but it scratches the paint. The right tool is carried by most automotive places for $10-$15. They are made by OTC (Advance Auto) or Great Neck tools (AutoZone) or Lisle (JCWhitney). There are others too. This way your paint is protected. Here's what one looks like.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...content=value4

Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

so i am guessing you just use that as a handle to pull on while prying that little tab away from the shaft. i guess that could work. i think he is wanting to take it apart so that he can paint it so any scratches could be fixed with new paint.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's there if he wants it. Every time I pull mine it scratches the heck outta my paint. I just put more spray paint. LOL

Quick Reply: Need Guidance on Removing Wiper Arm