2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Tire pressure monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:42 PM
jonw440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure monitoring

Does anybody know how the onboard tire pressure system works?
Is there a sensor in the rim,tire,or what?
Just curious.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:57 PM
regandon
Professional
Default RE: Tire pressure monitoring

Read page 308 of the owners manual. The CAUTION part of that page. It does not state if it is within the valve or within the inner part of the rim. It also states that aftermarketwheels candamage the pressure sensor.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 PM
jonw440

Thanks! We also need to replace the right rear tire (small nail on sidewall) and want to let the tire store know it has tire pressure monitoring system.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Avenger_GA

This feature also saved my butt this week when I was the lucky winner of a left/rear inner side wall puncture/tear... alarm sounded and I was off the road in under five seconds (where I watched the pressure go from 35 psi to 4 in an instant). Had I not had that alarm and been driving at full speed when the main tear happened, it would have been UGLY.

Avenger_GA

Old 09-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Avenger_GA

BTW the tires for the R/T are almost impossible to get right now (too new is the story I got at every tire place in town) and very expensive ($265+ list if you can even get one).... luckily my dealer pulled one from a vehicle while he ordered a replacement and split the cost with me as the vehicle was only three weeks old (and spent one of those weeks in the shop tracking down a front end noise).

Avenger_GA

Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM
regandon
Professional

$265 list ? holy sh**.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 PM
SueK
Professional

ORIGINAL: jonw440

Does anybody know how the onboard tire pressure system works?
Is there a sensor in the rim,tire,or what?
Just curious.
I believe it's very small German Knome from Shankindoodletown. There also a little German lady Knome that helps control the turn signals. She sometimes confused on what I want to do. She doesn't shut off the signal she goes back and forth or puts on the highbeams.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Barry626
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Avenger_GA

BTW the tires for the R/T are almost impossible to get right now (too new is the story I got at every tire place in town) and very expensive ($265+ list if you can even get one).... luckily my dealer pulled one from a vehicle while he ordered a replacement and split the cost with me as the vehicle was only three weeks old (and spent one of those weeks in the shop tracking down a front end noise).

Avenger_GA
They are all lying to you!
No way tires for our Dodge go for $265.00 ea. BMW's yes but not a Dodge.
Our tires sell for $165.00 and less & they have them in stock on Tirerack.com.
Buy from them u will have tire in 2-3 days direct to your house! Meanwhile use your spare!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 PM
hst71

A friend just bought a 2008 avenger, and her tire pressure monitor blinks everyday, we're assuming because of the nitrogen tires. After she has been driving for about half an hour, and the tires have warmed up, the monitor goes off. How is she to know if she ACTUALLY has a tire pressure issue, and is it safe to drive it while this is going on? Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't trust the tire pressure monitor then you can go out to the store and pick up a cheap pressure gauge and check the tires to see if the pressure is correct in comparison to the car's gauge..

Chances are the tires (or one tire) are a little low on air causing the sensor to trip, then after she drives the tires heat up which causes the air in the tires to expand bringing the pressure up to acceptable levels.

I would assume that there wouldn't be any issues ifshe continued to drive on the tires the way they are now as long as they are not visually flat but I would check the air pressure and fill any tires that are low.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitoring