2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Tire pressure monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Default RE: Tire pressure monitoring

The tire monitor reads transmitter thats part valve stems and there is a battery as well with thetransmitter, Each transmitter has a serial number that the monitor ck's. So if the battery goes dead the monitor will give a low tire message. The tire pressure transmitter have a 10 year warranty.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 AM
SueK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: master tech

The tire monitor reads transmitter thats part valve stems and there is a battery as well with thetransmitter, Each transmitter has a serial number that the monitor ck's. So if the battery goes dead the monitor will give a low tire message. The tire pressure transmitter have a 10 year warranty.
Excellent information. I didn't know there was a battery.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM
AvengerRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are what are usually called TPMS sensors in each wheel. Fords current setup is banded to the actual wheel, whereas most if not all other companys are part of the valve stem. I've not personally torn down a dodge wheel to see but usually the "stem" is just attached to the sensor, its not part of the sensor. All the sensors have small 3v batterys in them and are designed to last a long time before going bad. The reason for this is at a steady non rotating state, the sensor will either stop transmitting or only transmit like once every 6 hours or something. Somewhere near each wheel well there may be a reciever, but this is based on what company is making the sensors for dodge.

I suspect that climate changes may be what is causing one of the other posters here friends tpms to trigger. I know myself that when the weather here got colder mine triggered. The reason is, when the tires or the air inside the tires is cool, the pressure is lower. When its hotter, the pressure is more. All thats needed is to put a bit more air into them.

I wouldn't be surprised if a sensor went bad...it does happen. Normally though, its a result of tire repair, where the tech doesn't know about the sensor and breaks or damages it when replacing a tire. Or a tire goes flat and is driven on for a few miles and that causes the damage. Aftermarket wheels really won't damage a sensor unless they are removed from the original wheel improperly or installed improperly. Its just there so they can point to it when you bring it in for a warranty repair. And if you get aftermarket wheels and don't switch the sensors, the system will trigger. It won't hurt anything, but you will have to deal with the annoying nag lights and such.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitoring