2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

New RT AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 PM
JBattley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RT AWD

Well I am now the proud owner of a brand new 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T AWD.

I factory ordered the car, on September 5th, and received it in record time. October 12th! When I started looking for a car, I was really looking to get myself a more powerful hatchback. You see I drove a 2005 Suzuki Swift - until a couple days ago. I loved it. But some jackass in an Avalache felt backing into my car was a good idea - Thank god for a 2 way alarm!. Now it was just body damage, but it was my first new car - bought from a dealers lot. I used this as an excuse to get an upgrade!

I first looked at the VW Rabbit - loved it - price turned me away. So I jumped into a SX4 from Suzuki - was not to bad, but underpowered for the weight. I ended up talking with my friends - and one made a very valid point - I like to drive people around, you need a larger car - or you need an SUV. The other mid size sedans out there, were ugly. I honestly made the personal decision it is a VW Rabbit, Avenger, or SUV of some kind. Thats when I started to play with power specs etc. And lets face it - WOOOHOOO! This was a nice mix, the same HO V6 of the 3.5L Charger. A nice aggressive body stance, and I liked the look.

Southtown here in Edmonton, AB was amazing. When I first walked in the door, I was actually looking, almost 2 months ago. I spoke to a salesman - he showed me the Compass, Patriot, and Caliber... Even the Wrangler (I am a jeep fan at heart, I still miss my 95 YJ). None of them appealed to me that much, so I was honest with him and told him that it is likely I wouldnt be back - and I am probably going to buy the VW Rabbit. Brad Stover was courteous and accepted this. After a couple weeks went by, I ended up back at the dealership because I had found out about the Avenger. Long story short - he treated my honest and upfront tire kicking with respect and took me out in a couple vehicles. He loaned me a dealer car for 24 hours, so I could see how my friends felt in the car etc. Basicly - he was one of the most courteous and helpful salesmen I had ever met. We spent about 5-6 hours going over vehicle information etc. I am picky. End result - I am now the proud owner of a factory ordered 2008 Avenger R/T AWD in whatever name they have given their dark red color.

I ordered the MyGig system without GPS and a couple more options. Spending an additional 1200+ for GPS doesnt make sense to me when I have a GPS of my own already, but I wanted the MyGig system. None the less I now have my car with tons of toys and lots of "omph!"

Reviews of the 2.4L and 2.7L do not do the car justice. The 3.5L is amazing. I punched the car, and was able to enjoy wonderul speeds, as well as great handling. *Swoon* I am in love with this car. Four KM when it arrived... now it has over 350... 2 days. I want to go on a road trip now!

*waves*

My name is Jerry, and I am now a forum member.

(PS I posted a guide in debadging the car... it should be here somewhere.)

Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New RT AWD

Hey, Gratz on the car.. I read your guide, you did a good job on both the guide and removing the emblems..

Hey, Does anyone know how to get emblems back on your car after they are removed? lol J/K
(That would be 3M tape, a razor and bunch of patience)

Do you have plans for any other modsfor the car?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:39 PM
cmac11

Hey, future owner here. Can't decide R/T FWD or AWD. I'm leaning towards FWD for performance tires and sports suspension, but the AWD has a larger gas tank and rear rotor size. Besides this is there much of a difference.I'm sure i'll have to resort to test driving, but dealers in my area don't have AWD yet.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:54 PM
futil
Veteran

I went with the FWD because it came with a sport tuned suspension and that was my deciding factor otherwise I would have purchased the AWD but I hear thatthe sport tuned suspensionreally doesn't make much of a difference butit gives a stiffer ride as opposed to the AWD.

Thinking back I probably would purchase the AWD if I had it to do over again as AWD is nice when the snow starts falling and I cant imagine the suspension being that important unless you frequently drive in excess of 100 mph while taking an off ramp at full throttlewhich is whyI went with the FWD because I do that sometimes

I guess you can think of AWD as being able to drive in excess of 100 mph while taking an off ramp at full throttle.. in the snow and rain

PersonallyI think the main decisive factors are price and suspension difference. So if you have the $ I think AWD would probably be the way to go.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
cmac11

This may not be the best thought out question, but does the traction control and electronic stability actually function well with the FWD?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 PM
futil
Veteran

I was originally complaining about ESP and traction control in the forums trying to find out how to disable it based off of my expreience in other cars.. But I do have to say that ESP and Traction control is very forgiving in the 08 Avenger and allows a degree of wheel slip before it kicks in.

Normally I would be pushing my car to its limits and sliding it all over the place but since I only have 350 miles on it I can't really say how great the ESP/Traction control works since I have been being a lot less aggressive on it while it breaks in.

But aside of that, the way the stability control works on the FWD is it will apply the brakes onindividual wheels to align the car in the event of a slide and should functionthe same as the AWD since I don't believe the AWD applies power to various wheels since there is no way to apply that power to individual wheels. (If the car had electric wheel motors then it could be added to individual wheels to enhance the system)

Traction control works by removing power from the wheels to prevent them from slipping. (Basically forcing the car to throttle down no matter how far down you have your foot on the gas pedal when tire slippage is detected) the AWD should performthe same with the exception of the rear wheels kicking in and providing rear wheel power when traction control activates.. but Stability control should be exactly the same.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
JBattley

ORIGINAL: futil

Hey, Gratz on the car.. I read your guide, you did a good job on both the guide and removing the emblems..

Hey, Does anyone know how to get emblems back on your car after they are removed? lol J/K
(That would be 3M tape, a razor and bunch of patience)

Do you have plans for any other modsfor the car?
I do expect to be using duplicolor's caliper paint kit to turn the calipers black. Really interested in making them stand out as an accent.

The rear windows will be tinted as well (illegal to tint passenger/driver windows here). Going to go for blacker - not limo black - but to give an accent to the car.

I also plan to use the stock rims as "winter steelies" and throw on a set of 19" Rims, likely a 5 spoke black with chrome rim. Unsure yet. I know I could do 20s, but I dont want a rough ride on our roads here, and I can fit more tire into a 19".

I am debating throwing a black racing strip kit on the vehicle...http://www.autotrimdesign.net/detail...5__36402.html#

Interior work - I really like the cleanliness of the stock interior, I will be scotch guarding the fabric, and my sisters boyfriend is a body mechanic, so he is going to bring home his rust proofing gun, and we will be doing all the interiors of the doors, and wheel wells etc. RainX treatment for the windows (I will be reapplying this a lot LOL).

Otherwise not sure yet, I am leery about waranty and performance mods, because Canada doesnt have the same legislation as the states - regarding if the part is a certified part - it cannot void a warranty. Probably going to do a K&N CAI, when they make it. But 5 years from now when my powertrain warranty expires... SUPER CHARGER!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:23 PM
JBattley

ORIGINAL: cmac11

Hey, future owner here. Can't decide R/T FWD or AWD. I'm leaning towards FWD for performance tires and sports suspension, but the AWD has a larger gas tank and rear rotor size. Besides this is there much of a difference.I'm sure i'll have to resort to test driving, but dealers in my area don't have AWD yet.
I was going to do a FWD, but after much research into it, including weight transfer for acceleration etc, I figured I would be happier with AWD. I am. The suspension is one thing, and I really would rather a sport suspension, but lets face it, stock suspensions are not the best in the world anyways, a couple of sway bars can improve the touring suspension I am sure, and they are not that expensive (mopar has them for about $300 if I am not mistaken).

Performance OEM tires will still not be that fantastic - and my plans were to get a summer set anyways, and turn these all seasons to a winter tire, and replace when they wear out.

Acceleration/body roll - if you can imagine your standard intersection, with a right turning lane (the kind that cut through where a pedestrian would walk to the lights), I was able to take one of those rather quickly when i was showing the friend the cars power. entered it at 70km/hr in 3rd, and came out of it doing nearly 110 km/hr in 4th, there was body roll, but it was managable, and the traction was fantastic. I felt the AWD activate as I came out, was an aggressive feeling - and I am so glad I didnt have a FWD. I would have been spinning tires and burning rubber.

When I have done some hard starts, to see how well it can achieve speed, I was able to roar to 160km/hr in 4th at 4K RPM, which is right in the power band, so I had power to still kick me in the *** and go. I do not know how FWD would have handled to reach that speed as quickly as AWD, or how nice it would have felt.

All in all, my friends reaction (he drives a 1.8T VW GTI 2003), was "impressive." The acceleration and gearing was smooth, the speeds achieved in a 3 block stretch, exceeded 120km/hr. Anyone who hates me for the speed - I did this on a bare road, at night so as not to be a danger to anyone cept myself.