2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Removing Door Panels to change speakers

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 PM
dthompson08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Door Panels to change speakers

Does anyone know where I can find information on how to remove the door panels so I can change out the speakers?

I would appreciate any help!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
nightshade72
Default RE: Removing Door Panels to change speakers

I have not pulled the skins on the doors on my avenger (yet) but I can't imagine it being any more difficult than most. Find and remove all the screws.. then, using a trim tool, pop all the pins and remove the door..

highly recommend a trim tool if you don't want to go and buy new pins... I don't know if we can even get them for the avenger yet. and if it's anything like my Magmum, they are surprisingly expensive.

Which speakers do you have in there stock? I am running the BA 6 speaker system and am very pleased with the clarity of them.. much better than the BA speakers that were in the magnum.. I may still replace them with infinity kappa's as soon as I get around to verifying the speaker types that are already installed (have to figure out if they are 2ohm or 4ohm still)...

ORIGINAL: dthompson08

Does anyone know where I can find information on how to remove the door panels so I can change out the speakers?

I would appreciate any help!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.. What Nightshade said

The oldschool way (Even though I'm not that old) is look for and remove any screws on the door, Use a screwdriver tolift the edge of thedoorpanel to get your fingers in,then start yankingon the panel.. If its hard to pull off in a certain area.. you missed a screw

I'm being a wise *** but thats pretty much how I would do it.. Unfortunately I never needed to remove my door panels so I cant provide better information..

Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM
nightshade72

ORIGINAL: futil

Yeah.. What Nightshade said

The oldschool way (Even though I'm not that old) is look for and remove any screws on the door, Use a screwdriver tolift the edge of thedoorpanel to get your fingers in,then start yankingon the panel.. If its hard to pull off in a certain area.. you missed a screw

I'm being a wise *** but thats pretty much how I would do it.. Unfortunately I never needed to remove my door panels so I cant provide better information..
That is actually how I did it on the magnum too.. and is also why I know the trim pins are expensive.. pull pull pull SNAP.. is a sinking feeling when you know that you broke it too.. lol..

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
futil
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol.. Tell me about it.. I snapped the passenger side kick panel in 2 running the wires for the Lockpick camera wires.. Sooo Pissed.. it's not super noticable though so I just put the pieces back..

Im sure a little crazy glue will fix it anyway.. although its still not going to be perfect which pisses me off.. but I have no one to blame but myself.. Well and the cold weather which is my fault too for not heating up the car before working with plastic pieces in the winter..

Ugh.. I still can hear the sound of the snap in my head.. and my reaction.. [CENSORED] lol

Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM
MrBill

I just took the passenger side door panel off to put on window tint film. I scratched the film badly and get to do this task again x 4. I recommend anybody putting window film on to learn how to take the door panel off and totally remove the lower/inside window seal to make film installation possible. The door panel is held on by 10 plastic push-pins and 3 screws (torx head). With a small screw driver, pop up the little rectangle "hatch" in the bottom of the hand-well used to pull closed the door when inside. It is "hinged" on the long side facing inside the car, so just pop the two ends up and it will rotate toward the inside of the carand reveal the 2 screws underneath. Remove these. Now similarly pop the round "hatch" in the middle of the inner door handle. It rotates downward on its "hinge". Remove the screw underneath. Next remove the triangle piece covering outside mirror mount on the front doors. It just pulls straightout from the top. It engages in the door panel at the botton via a tab into a slot, so pull it out from the top. A single "spade" fastener holds it secure. Next you need to pop the 10 pins holding the doorpanel secure. There are 3 spaced on each end and 4 along the bottom. I used a big plastic soup spoon utensile from the kitchen. Pry between the doorpanel and doorat the indent (relief) about where the latch receptacle is on the door. If you get it up about 1/4 inch (I used a wood wedge for this) you can see the white "pins" and receptacles. Then place your "spoon or homemade trim tool" against the pin and pry (or twist) POP means the pin released. Move to the next pin down and do it again. DO NOT simply pull on the door panel by the edges or you risk breaking the pins and (worse yet) their mounts in the door panel. Once all 10 are "popped", rotate up the panel about 30 degrees and lift upward to disengege from the inner windowseal slot thatthe top of the panel nests into. It should come free, but be retained by #1 the cable to theinner door handle and #2 the wire to the armrest panel. Just let it hang and you can get to the window motor, speaker or whatever. For window tint, you can then simply lift up and offthe lower window sealfrom the door completely. Installation is the opposite of removal with the caution to MAKE SURE each pin centers in a receptacle before pushing the door panel flush. Failure to do this will prevent a flush installation and quite possible damage the door panel as the stealership did to my poor old first gen Durango.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
dthompson08

MrBill,

Thank you for your instructions... exactly what I was looking for. I will use your method this weekend!!!THANK YOU!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM
albertaavenger

i took the door panel of about 6 hours after i drove it home it is a bitch screws then power window handle thing then you have to pull up and out on the panel its not fun and getting it back on grrr ive taken many a car apart and this was the most difficult door panel ive ever done and i ave to do it again cuz i blew my speaks roar

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Door Panels to change speakers