2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Flagstaffgrad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Throttle Control

I am also having issues with my 2007 dodge ram truck with the ETC. Spent 600 on a new cam shaft position sensor (guess from mechanic) as well as having the computer re-flashed. Reading all of these issues has anyone had any luck with a remedy, mechanic has no clue and codes are not correct in fixing this issue. Truck is unreliable at this point.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Steve2216
Default Etc

Originally Posted by Flagstaffgrad
I am also having issues with my 2007 dodge ram truck with the ETC. Spent 600 on a new cam shaft position sensor (guess from mechanic) as well as having the computer re-flashed. Reading all of these issues has anyone had any luck with a remedy, mechanic has no clue and codes are not correct in fixing this issue. Truck is unreliable at this point.
I changed the electronic throttle control on my 2013 dodge avenger and haven't had anymore issues

Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Flagstaffgrad
Wrong section. Please post in the Ram section. You need a new mechanic. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 AM
ashleysm016

I am also having the same problem as everyone else (2013 Avenger SE 2.4) seems to be having. Started but having the electric throttle control light and traction control light come on every now and then when driving (no check engine light). The vehicle would ride ruff and would only go about 20mph. All I had to do is shut the car off and restart it and the light went away and the car drove fine. this happened a few times in the last few weeks until the other day when the light came on when i started the car and wouldn't reset. First I changed the battery which made no change. Then I changed the Throttle body. After changing the throttle body, the car starts okay but randomly while driving the electric throttle body light comes on along with the traction control light and the engine light. I then took it to have the engine codes read. The engine codes read that the throttle body was stuck open and the throttle position sensor (gas pedal) was not functioning properly. So next I replaced the peddle/sensor. I'm still having the electric throttle control light come on along with the engine light and traction control light randomly while driving. On a side not 2 weeks before all this trouble both front windows stopped working they will roll down but not up. First the passenger window stopped working then two days later the driver’s window stopped working.

I did call dodge this morning they told me that they haven't had any complaints like this reported to them. I'm Running out of money and time.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

So, after the lights started coming on, you kept driving it until it wouldn't respond anymore? You probably damaged the PCM.

Or better yet... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2008-cu...ml#post3219793

Last edited by TNtech; 10-21-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 AM
ashleysm016

Thats frustrating to hear. The mechanics (service managers) at both local the Dodge dealer said that they have never seen that happen. That driving with a bad Throttle body unit for a few weeks wouldn't damage the PCM.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:13 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ashleysm016
Thats frustrating to hear. The mechanics (service managers) at both local the Dodge dealer said that they have never seen that happen. That driving with a bad Throttle body unit for a few weeks wouldn't damage the PCM.

HA ! That's why I'm the KING

GPEC type PCMs don't have the circuit protection against back feed and spikes that the older types had. There are times that a PCM reset can fix your issue.

GPECs also have a bad/good trait of holding memory for an extended amount of time.

Take your battery terminals off... BOTH of them. Tie them together for about 30 minutes. Reconnect them and see how your issues go.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-21-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 AM
ashleysm016

this may be a stupid question but, do you think will driving it with a new throttle body but damaged PCM damage the new throttle body? I have to wait another 2 weeks to get the PCM.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:05 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ashleysm016
this may be a stupid question but, do you think will driving it with a new throttle body but damaged PCM damage the new throttle body? I have to wait another 2 weeks to get the PCM.
No. Get it diagnosed, don't just go get a PCM.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 PM
rmesax

I had the same issue and after spending money on a new throttle-body, the problem ended up being a leaking intake manifold gasket which i found out after getting the 2173 code. I did this repair myself paying $7.00 for the gasket. The dealer wanted to replace the intake manifold and gasket for around $900.00. I tested by spraying carb cleaner near the area where the intake meets the engine and the car stumbled at idle.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Light/horse power loss