2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2013 avenger shut off noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Bub27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 avenger shut off noise

When you shut the engine off it makes a clicking noise like 4 times and stops the noise comes from the left side of the engine took it in to the dealer and they said it was the variable valve timing system resetting itself but I went on the dealer lot and started another one like mine and turned it off and it did not make the noise anything I can do to stop the noise like different oil or something thanks

Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Most all of the Chrysler 4 cylinders do this. It is normal and is the cam phasers releasing as the oil pressure drops. Our 09 Caliber 2.0L has done it since day one as does my nieces 09 Avenger 2.4L. Nothing to be concerned about.
The oil pressure when running advances the cam timing at low rpms for better torque and they bleed off at higher rpms to gain higher rpm horsepower. You just cant hear it when it is running. The cam phasers are spring loaded to be retarded, and there are solenoid valves that allow oil to pressurize them which overcomes the springs and advances the cams. Since there is no oil pressure when you turn off the engine, they bleed of, thus the noise.

Keep running the recommended 5w20 oil. Different oil will not get rid of the noise.

You will get used to it after awhile and it doesn't hurt anything at all.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum!!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:05 PM
jblecha189
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well my 2013 avenger 2.4 has never done that, now @ 21,000 miles it has... something must've happened

Quick Reply: 2013 avenger shut off noise