2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2011 Dodge Avenger loosing power going up hill

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM
MikeMoreno
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Dodge Avenger loosing power going up hill

I have a 2011 Avenger Expres 2.4L 4 cylinder, on flat surface acceleration is perfectly fine, when I begin going up hill and have to give the car gas to keep my speed my RPM's begin to drop, on normal speed I'm running about 3k give or take, and when I give it gas the car shifts into OD the Tach goes up to about say 6k and kinda bounces it way down to about 5,500 and then slowly bounces on up as the car finally begins to accelerate, Obviously all of this happens within just a matter of seconds, and if you weren't the driver you would not notice it happening. My MPG has also dropped drastically because of this.

I've changed the the air filter, the spark plugs, and the ignition coils.
I was talking with a couple of people around here locally and have gotten ideas of needing to check the fuel filter, and the catalytic. I was hoping that someone else that actually knows dodge might be able to give me some insight as to what could actually be the problem.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM
r-g_richards
Rookie

What kind of mileage on the car. What kind of plugs(copper works best). Cat should be okay as a plugged cat will not allow 6k rpms. There is no fuel filter, just a screen on the end of the pickup on the fuel pump in the tank. What grade of hill are we talking about? A steeper grade will definitely take more to go up than driving on a flat.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:46 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a transmission or PCM issue. 3K is way too high for cruising speed. It should already be in OD at 45 or 50mph. It should kick out of OD under heavy throttle but 6K rpm is a bit high unless it is at WOT.
What transmission does it have? Is it a 4-speed auto or a CVT2?

EDIT: I see that the 2011 2.4L got a 6-speed auto transmission. From what you describe, it sounds like it could be a transmission/PCM issue.

Last edited by lxman1; 12-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM
MikeMoreno

Unfortunately that I do not know, How can I find that out?

Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Avenger loosing power going up hill