2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2009 Dodge Avenger 4cyl Reving issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 PM
kevilay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Avenger 4cyl Reving issue

Hey guys I have an 09 dodge avenger having what I think is some sort of electrical problem. When I am driving and accelerate to get on the highway or anything where I need to go over 4k rpm it gets up to 4 k and moreless stops. Then I let off the gas, it shifts and I accel very slow. I thought the tranny was slipping but It also does it in Park. What is causing this to happen? I have a cel also. I need to check it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 06-26-2015, 01:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Get the code read and it will probably tell you whats wrong.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM
kevilay

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Get the code read and it will probably tell you whats wrong.
Before there was a camshaft and crackshaft code, I replaced both of them and their still there. I dont have a code reader anymore I will have to take it somewhere

Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevilay
Hey guys I have an 09 dodge avenger having what I think is some sort of electrical problem. When I am driving and accelerate to get on the highway or anything where I need to go over 4k rpm it gets up to 4 k and moreless stops. Then I let off the gas, it shifts and I accel very slow. I thought the tranny was slipping but It also does it in Park. What is causing this to happen? I have a cel also. I need to check it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin
Before there was a camshaft and crackshaft code, I replaced both of them and their still there. I dont have a code reader anymore I will have to take it somewhere
kevilay,

Bring it over to your local Dodge dealer for a test drive and have the codes read.
The Service dept. will tell you exactly what's going on.
All the best!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:42 AM
kevilay

So here is where we are at. I read the codes again. We still have a camshaft and also a crank shaft sensor code. Both of them were replaced in the last 2 months. Where do I look next?

Kevin

Old 07-01-2015, 10:15 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So here is where we are at. I read the codes again. We still have a camshaft and also a crank shaft sensor code. Both of them were replaced in the last 2 months. Where do I look next?

Kevin
kevilay,

Had your dealer read the codes and confirmed those were the components that needed replacing?
There may be more to it than simply replacing those particular parts.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM
WFLamanIV

It is possible that there is an applicable software update for your Powertrain control module. A simple code reader (whether it reads CAN or not) will not be able to determine the PCM part number's software number and if it needs updating... However you would need a factory starscan or need to see a dealer to determine this.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 PM
WFLamanIV
Default Red lightning bolt ?

P.s.

The red lightning bolt isn't on is it? I've run into it before where the engine won't rev past a very low point or have usable highway speeds because the electronic throttle has not been properly calibrated. Because some code readers do not have the capacity to pull pedal voltage to throttle position codes it may be spitting cam/crank codes instead... just a thought.

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Avenger 4cyl Reving issue