2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Transmission Codes 0736 & 083B from 08?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:36 PM
sjohns45
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Codes 0736 & 083B from 08?

A friend's 08 Avenger is "acting up". The description I'm getting is it's revving high before changing gears. The Auto Zone scanner gave 2 trans related codes:
P0736 - Gear Ration Error In Reverse Gear
and
P083B - LXC pressure switch rationality.

Some google searching yielded the following descriptions:

P0736 DODGE - Gear Ratio Error In Reverse Gear
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit

P083B LC pressure switch rationality
This is a pressure switch for the transmission, Which you have 3. If one of the pressure switch is open or closed at the wrong time when in park or neutral,The transmission goes into limp mode , this is where you have limited gear operation,This problem code is related to a fault in the Transmission solenoid or TRS assembly.

The code scanner also referenced "G circuit".

The common theme here seems to be solenoids or possibly the Transmission Range Sensor.

I assume the solenoids are on the valve body, not sure about the TRS assembly. Can anyone share any experience here for troubleshooting / testing? I'm not much of a blind parts changer when I can avoid it...

I haven't got to check it out myself yet just trying to do some up front research before really diving in. Also never worked on an Avenger or many front wheel drives, stuck to GM and Dodge trucks mostly.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Mike
What concern me is the P0736 gear ratio error in reverse. If the transmission does move in reverse, The valve body will not help. You would need to start with a tear down. There maybe damage inside the transmission.