2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Alternator or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Zombifyd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator or battery?

Hello, my wife's car (2014 avenger, 2.4) recently had all the dash lights blink on and then off and the traction control light stays on. Also the radio lights turn off and back on. She went to advance to get the battery test and they told her that the battery reads too low for an answer. I was told it could be the alternator from an avenger group on facebook but i was hoping for a second opinion before I replace the alternator this weekend. (I heard a surging alternator can harm the ecu.)
Thanks

Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Stick a voltmeter on the battery with the engine running. Should be @14.5 VDC. If so, the alternator is good.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Zombifyd
Professional

Directly to the battery? Because its in the fender. Would i get a good reading from the positive post that leads to the battery and a good ground?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 AM
beech2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zombifyd
Hello, my wife's car (2014 avenger, 2.4) recently had all the dash lights blink on and then off and the traction control light stays on. Also the radio lights turn off and back on. She went to advance to get the battery test and they told her that the battery reads too low for an answer. I was told it could be the alternator from an avenger group on facebook but i was hoping for a second opinion before I replace the alternator this weekend. (I heard a surging alternator can harm the ecu.)
Thanks
Our 2013 has the same symptoms as yours. Did you ever figure it out?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:59 PM
300Guy

My 2012 just had the battery and alternator fail and all those lights were on as it failed. It failed within 30 to 40 minutes and never once gave us any indication the battery or anything was bad!!!!!! Guys told me when the battery gets bad, the alternator takes over and eventually the alternator overheats and takes out the rectifier. My opinion right now is there is a very poor design if this is happening to other people!!!!!

Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 300Guy
My 2012 just had the battery and alternator fail and all those lights were on as it failed. It failed within 30 to 40 minutes and never once gave us any indication the battery or anything was bad!!!!!! Guys told me when the battery gets bad, the alternator takes over and eventually the alternator overheats and takes out the rectifier. My opinion right now is there is a very poor design if this is happening to other people!!!!!
Can you design a better one?

Quick Reply: Alternator or battery?