2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Overheating Issue

Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM
SebKaldwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Issue

2008 Avenger 2.4L VIN:K 4spd Automatic

I have replaced the Upper Radiator hose, thermostat housing and thermostats, water pump, water pump gasket, radiator cap, and temperature control sensor.
Originally, the upper radiator hose busted at the radiator cap, and I replaced the hose.08/2017
The thermostat housing was leaking, so, I replaced it, along with the temperature control sensor. 8/08/2017
Car ran fine for nearly 2 years.
Less than 3 month ago, it began running hot again. I took it Autozone and they ran the code, which was to replace the Intake Manifold.
Got the Intake Manifold replaced and the Check engine light was cleared.
Still running hot, though.
I began to notice a leak coming from the thermostat housing again. Come to find out, it was supposed to have a 2nd thermostat, which I replaced, added a good layer of gasket sealer to the thermostat housing. No more leaking.
Still running hot.
Leak began coming from the water pump. I replaced the water pump and the gasket. No more leaking.
Still running hot.
There is no leak anywhere. I am not losing any coolant anywhere. I have checked the oil. It is not sludgy not have any water/coolant in it, so, no blown head gasket, nor cracked heads.
I thought maybe the radiator cap was the culprit, so, I replaced it with a better cap with the lever.
Still overheating.
There are no air bubbles trapped in it. I've done a flush several times within the last 3 months.

I am at a total loss. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Old 07-01-2019, 10:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the electric fan working as it should? Is it actually over heating and not just a faulty gauge reading? If so, have the cooling system pressure tested while running or do a leakdown test on the cylinders. I have had two different cars that did have did have blown head gaskets that never lost fluid coolant and had clean oil. They just leaked compression pressure into the coolant system causing overheating issues. You are probably building excessive pressure in the cooling system. This would explain the random leaks that keep popping up. Worth looking into.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:15 PM
SebKaldwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I got it fixed.

The thermostat that was inside the water inlet of the thermostat housing had become faulty. I didn't think much of it before since it was less than 2 years old, but, somehow, it managed to get some gunk on it and it remained closed.
It was the cause of all the leaks. I replaced it, got everything sealed back up. No overheating since.
Of course, I had to replace the battery because all of that 200+ degree coolant and water that sprayed out of the radiator cap every time I opened it after overheating (to release the pressure), it ended up messing up my battery and the terminals.
After replacing, practically, the entire cooling system, I really didn't feel like dealing with the battery, so, I went to Wal-Mart, bought a battery, and had them do it for free. Ha!

Now, I get to work on the A/C not working and the vents seeming to be clogged... Yay...

Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the update. As for the vents, check and make sure that the cabin air filter isn't clogged. If it has one, there should be an access panel behind the glovebox. Hopefully it's this and not a blend door issue!!.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating Issue