2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Opinions on fixing truck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah guys its kind of disappointing. When I bought it common sense said that not getting a v8 or 4 wheel drive would save me some gas. More than just a little bit. When I first got it I got around 16 but I guess it is winter. Alleymad has the same engine plus 4 wheel drive yet his mileage is better. We'll see if she rebounds come spring. If not maybe gonna look at selling her for a 4x4. But probably not lol, I am pretty attached.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

that is a mint 95 stang! great looking car bud!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by Blaze10
that is a mint 95 stang! great looking car bud!
Thanks!!

Here are some more...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo.../ppuser/109873

Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

damn dude even the motor is super clean!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:37 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by Blaze10
damn dude even the motor is super clean!
I used to keep my truck like that as well, but age and mileage and neglect while I went to Law School for 3 years caught up to it...

Now, I am going to restore it to that condition...or some semblance of it anyhow...

I should hook some pics up to this site it so I have some before shots, I think...

Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Quick question -

I think my transfer case is NP231D...

My understanding is that they are all the same in all Dakota until they introduced the 233 in 2000???

To clarify, I have the actual shift lever on the floor to engage 4 wheel drive (non-electronic?)...

Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

OK

CV shafts and hubs are replaced...

Much better up front...I had a lot of vibration there that must have developed gradually over time...it is gone...

Still got a weird noise though...

I am perplexed...

Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

OK - here are my results from the cv shaft / hub job:

1. Eliminated speed-dependent on and off grind/crunch sound coming from passenger side.
2. Eliminated massive vibration in steering wheel.
3. Eliminated a lot of play in steering while turning right.
4. Eliminated an intermittent clunk on the passenger side.

The outer cv joint on the passenger side was wasted. Made for a very difficult time removing the shaft assembly (since the sucker would not flop in the right direction to allow me to slide it out).

The passenger side wheel bearing was toast. It still spun while in the truck. I picked the hub up and stuck it in the box that the new part came in and tried giving it a turn for whatever reason (I find it hard not to make mechanical things operate when I am holding them) - anyhow, it was seized. Probably did not have much longer until it did that while I was rolling down the road.

Stripped out the hole that my bottom caliper bolt on the passenger side goes into during re-assembly. Brother-in-law sates "that is a Dodge problem since like 1900..." Geez, thanks.

Go to Advance to get a helicoil. Ask the guy if he can look up the size of the caliper bolt (I have it with me) so I can make sure to get the proper helicoil kit. I really think it is the 8 mm 1.5 kit...but I do not want to make a trip to the junkyard for a new spindle, at 3 on a Saturday in the snow...

The jerk says "I ain't looking that up for you. Just buy an over-sized caliper bolt..." And don't open those helicoil kits!" He stands there and watches me. WTF?? is he getting a kickback from the makers of the HELP! over-sized caliper bolts?

Bastard. I walk out. Go to NAPA. Where the jerk tells me the same damn thing! I don't even bother trying to sneak over and open one to find the threads I need...

I go to AutoZone. Tell them the expereince at the previous two places. He says "just buy the over-sized caliper bolt...I don't know how to find out the info you need...sorry..." I buy it there. At least he was apologetic and admitted to being an idiot...

Get it back together. All looks good. Replace the foglight that has been dead for 2 months. That works too.

Take it for a drive. Seems OK initially.

Now, I have an odd collection of symptoms.

Grind in 4 wheel drive when I give it any significant throttle. Same as before, prolly t-case...

Grind when front wheels lock up...this is new...and it is a very specific occurrence. The brakes seem fine UNLESS the front locks and and the truck slides (no front ABS, by the way). Then it makes a he!! of a noise. Never noticed that before...hmmmm...and the noise sounds suspiciously like the noise I am attributing to the t-case...which seem odd...I mean, how does sliding on snow/ice in 2 wheel drive affect the t-case??? Because, I swear, it is...

So, I mess around with this new noise for a bit. It happens in reverse. It happens at 25 mph, 40 mph, 2 mph. Whenever the front brakes lock and the truck slides, it makes this noise.

After doing this for about 5 minutes or so, I decide "Well, not much to be done about it now - I just won't lock 'em up..."

I start driving down the road and I hear another new sound. It was not making this noise just 5 minutes ago. It is a rattly / grindy noise. It is present when moving, but is fixed. That is, whether I am going 50 or 5, the noise is the same. It doesn't speed up or slow down at all...

I am lost. Honestly. What makes a noise only when moving yet is not affected by vehicle speed? What makes a noise when the brakes are lock and the vehicle is sliding that sounds just like 4 wheel drive grinding?

Any ideas on where to start looking / what parts to buy?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem with my caliper bolt what a pita it was had to get a 39.99 heli coil kit. That noise is your abs it happens when the front wheels lock up. Normal on a lot of vehicles.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I had the same problem with my caliper bolt what a pita it was had to get a 39.99 heli coil kit. That noise is your abs it happens when the front wheels lock up. Normal on a lot of vehicles.
What size helicoil kit (if you remember)? I am going to buy one and throw it in the glove box, but I need to figure out the correct size...

As for the noise...

I only have rear ABS...

When my front wheels lock up it is normal to have a terrible grinding and rattling noise that makes you think the truck is going to fall apart??

I have put like 100,000 miles on this truck...I have NEVER heard this noise before...I have driven it in the snow / ice for many years and have no doubt that I routinely lock up the front wheels...routinely...and it has never made that noise before...

I think I am going to unbolt the front driveshaft and carry it around in the box...seems like an easy enough way to start eliminating sources of my grinding, right?

Quick Reply: Opinions on fixing truck...