2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Opinions on fixing truck...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, truck still drives down the road pretty good.

Got a discount code from Rock Auto - it's only good for 5% off, but that is better than nothing as far as I can tell...

"Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on May 15, 2011; so don't wait!"

Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Energy Suspension control arm bushings are they're great. They have great customer service. I ordered some it turned out they didn't have any so as soon as they got a set in they overnighted them to me. I recieved an email from an actual person too asking for some information and what not. They are great bushings too. They're poly bushings which will last forever pretty much unlike the stock rubber ones.

I bought Moog rear sway bar bushings and end links. They're not on yet though because I need to be home in order to put them in.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I bought Moog rear sway bar bushings and end links. They're not on yet though because I need to be home in order to put them in.
i was wondering if you ever got thoes. if you have the same results as me you will love them. keep me posted on them.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder98110
i was wondering if you ever got thoes. if you have the same results as me you will love them. keep me posted on them.
Actually I only have the end links and still have to order the bushings. I want to just do it all at once so I'm waiting till I have both the links and bushings. It will probably summer before I do it. Not a huge deal.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
mikitch

which are better the timken bearings or oem hub bearings from mopar??

Old 04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OEM Mopar bearing/hubs are made by Timken. When I replaced my hub/bearings the original ones said "Timken" on the inside edge.

Jimmy

Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

The ones I just replaced also said Timken on the inside edge...and as far as I know, they were original...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

So, still in need of fixing the leaky intake gasket...found a guy that will do it for under $300 if I buy the parts...since I see no way of doing it myself in less than a full weekend, and I value my weekend at at least $200 a day, and I need to buy about $50 in tools to do the job, I think this is one he!! of a deal and will be sending him some work shortly...

I will be out right around $500 total for that repair with all parts, fluids, and labor...

That will leave me with two fenders to replace, a rust spot on the drivers side door to fix (just a bubble, already knocked the loose paint off and treated, sanded, and primed it), and some troublesome rust at the back of the cab where the extended cab wraps around under the truck...

At first I thought it was just flaking paint and bubbling...I got under there and started prepping...discovered two rather large holes in the bottom of the cab on the driver's side and one on the passenger side...yup, that appears to be some sort of sound deadening material falling out...UGH...

Anyhow, I am torn about how to address this issue. On the one hand, I don't want to.

But, on the other, I figure I should at least make some effort because it is not going to go away and I need to keep the truck for at least another two years to recoup the money I have in it at this point...

It is going to be pretty much parked all summer so I can whittle away at it as time allows...

Looks like I am going to foray into body work of one form or another...any suggestions on fixing holes under the cab?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alleymad99SLT

At first I thought it was just flaking paint and bubbling...I got under there and started prepping...discovered two rather large holes in the bottom of the cab on the driver's side and one on the passenger side...yup, that appears to be some sort of sound deadening material falling out...UGH...

Looks like I am going to foray into body work of one form or another...any suggestions on fixing holes under the cab?

Mine is the same way. Pisses me off cause the last guy put spray foam in there to cover it up then painted it black to look like the rest of the underside. Only after a year did I notice it! Depending how bad yours is you might have to cut out a section and make your own panel.

Quick Reply: Opinions on fixing truck...