2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

possible newbie from the Ram side

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknights
'02 had more steering issues than any other year.
what kind of steering issues?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The steering pumps seem to fail in 02s more often/earlier then any other year. Mine went out after over 240,000 miles. So I didn't complain but, according to msn and a few shops near where I worked a year ago. The 02s just generally had more issues with it than other years. No idea why, is it a big problem, no. It is a clear, obvious and easy to fix problem. My favorite year is what I own, an '01 (probably biased being its my first Dak). But I might buy an 03-04 when it comes time.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

cool thanks. i definitely like this body style best compared to any other generation. i'm just trying to find the best deal out there, so i am keeping my eyes open. i did find an 02 with somewhat low mileage and a 4.7L 4WD. my Ram looks like it should sell on ebay. so once it does, i will really start looking for a Dakota.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

If it doesnt, craigslist and cash is pretty popular in the northeast.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

well, it looks like the reserve was met on my ebay auction.as long as the bidder actually pays, then i will have a dakota, lol.

i found a 2003 4.7L 4WD in my price range too. getting a little excited. about everything.

Last edited by ebxgsxr; 02-22-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:15 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

oh yeah. Ram sold on ebay for $6550. now to find a Dakota, lol. i found one in Brooklyn, NY (so i would have to travel to get it). but it has low miles & appears to be in good shape. i'm trying to find one that is rust free.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

Just trying to help here. But if you can, look south and west of you. In the northeast the counties use salt to melt the roads. Salt causes a lot of rust issues, especially on dodge vehicles (use to be worse, our gen is 10x better). The farther south you look the better off you'll be. But out west the use ash, this washes off easily. I don't remember if you live in PA or not but PA has strict resale laws for dealerships. So they legally can't sell you a vehicle with rust issues. MD doesnt really have Dakotas and if they do, they widely vary in quality and Maryland doesn't have many regulations to protect buyers of used cars.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just trying to help here. But if you can, look south and west of you. In the northeast the counties use salt to melt the roads. Salt causes a lot of rust issues, especially on dodge vehicles (use to be worse, our gen is 10x better). The farther south you look the better off you'll be. But out west the use ash, this washes off easily. I don't remember if you live in PA or not but PA has strict resale laws for dealerships. So they legally can't sell you a vehicle with rust issues. MD doesnt really have Dakotas and if they do, they widely vary in quality and Maryland doesn't have many regulations to protect buyers of used cars.
Mind you that is only for inspection. Tho it usually only fails if there is holes into the cab.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Blacknights
Veteran

It isn't perfect but it is still a good baseline. I've had it save my butt twice. Once on frame reconstruction. But that being noted, always have a third party mechanic under your pay, inspect any vehicle before you purchase it.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It isn't perfect but it is still a good baseline. I've had it save my butt twice. Once on frame reconstruction. But that being noted, always have a third party mechanic under your pay, inspect any vehicle before you purchase it.
Depends how well you know your inspection guy lol My dakota should of never passed with my exhaust dumped after the cat and with a check engine light on.

Quick Reply: possible newbie from the Ram side