2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

How Large is your fuel tank??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM
FredT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Large is your fuel tank??

I have a 2004 Dakota, recently purchased, with LOW miles. I'm totally sold on the truck & have no complaints - save one. It seems like I have to visit the pumps way too often. At first I thought that maybe the gas mileage was terrible, but then I approached the problem from another angle. It occurred to me one day that maybe the fuel tank was on the small side, so I began to keep an eye on that. One day when the needle told me that I had 1/8 of a tank of fuel left I pulled into the station and topped it off. According to the pump it took 12.4 gallons of gas to do that. And several times since then I have repeated the exercise. I have NEVER been able to put more than about 12 gallons of gas in the truck! So I'm wondering: For those who have experience with that model truck - Can anyone tell me what size fuel tank this truck has? And (2): Would it be possible for me to change that tank out for a larger one? THANKS (in advance) for any info that you can share with me........ FredT

Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

they came with either a 15 gallon or a 22 gallon tank. I have swapped 22s in place of 15s on a couple of mine that started out with the 15s. direct swap, same straps and fuel pump, even (at least on trucks to 1996, not sure on anything newer)

Quick Reply: How Large is your fuel tank??