2nd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

01 Dakota - High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 07:48 PM
Austinarm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Dakota - High Beams

Not a gearhound, but I'm trying here. I've got a weird problem with the high beams on our '01 Dakota, 3.9L V6 with 106K miles. Based on reading here and elsewhere, I think I've got it nailed down. Here's what we're seeing. If you turn on the headlights, low beams come on ok. If you flick on the high beams, they go dark. If you turn off the headlights, then turn them back on, the high beams come on. If you then flick over to low beams, then back to high beams, the headlights shut off. Even when the high beams aren't working, you can get them on by pulling the turn signal stalk back. The low beams work fine throughout this.

While I see some folks saying that the multi function switch in the turn signal stalk was the culprit, this seems to me to be most likely a problem in the Body Control Module, which from what I'm reading is also called the Central Timing Module or Time & Alarm Module. Three questions:
1. Does this solution make sense to folks who know more than me (most of you!)?
2. Do I need to worry about any programming on the BCM/ CTM / T&A to work with my VIN? I'm thinking that the remote door unlock wouldn't work with the new module, but that we could get a locksmith to either reprogram the clicker or set a new one to work with the new BCM; does that make sense?
3. We previously had to replace the ECM, due to a "No Bus" error. Given that we had the failed ECM, and now this module, should we be digging deeper into electrical issues?

THANK YOU!

Old 11-29-2022, 02:22 PM
Austinarm

Also, I neglected to mention that the door locks, lights shutoff (after shutting down & removing the keys), all work as expected.

The only other item in that general area that is being weird is the cruise control; that does a similar thing where it turn on, and you can set a speed. When you brake or turn off the cruise control, it won't go back on again without turning the engine off, then on again. I don't think there's any connection between the CTM and the cruise, so that seems unrelated.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:50 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Probably should post this in technical support. While it could be from a failing BCM it is just as likely the mulit switch. See if you can get the switch from a junkyard. It will be much cheaper than replacing the computers. Go with the cheap easy tests first. The computers are generally some of the most reliable parts on a vehicle that is older than 1-3 years. The BCM does need to be vin programed if I recall correctly. Although I could be remembering the wrong computer there.

The following users liked this post:
Austinarm (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:00 AM
Austinarm

Thanks, I saw that I posted in the wrong place after it was up, didn't want to make extra hassle for admins. I think I will repost over there.

Quick Reply: 01 Dakota - High Beams