2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Buying an R/T what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 AM
nhd4spd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an R/T what to look for?

I'm thinking about buying a 98-2000 R/T, probably with between 60 and 80K miles on the clock. Can you guys give me some pointers on what to look forduring the test drive / walkaround that might be signs of trouble now or down the road.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Buying an R/T what to look for?

First thing to check is get on the s.o.b and see if the tranny is good, shifts fine no slip ect.. Mine had 70k when i got it and my tranny was bad, i need new gps and soloinods for 2nd-3rd shifts.

also check the PCM on the truck and make sure the model of the PCM ends in AA not AB (if AB it has a Death Flash PCM and robs power and will useally ping/det if you change it)

check the VIN and do a VIN check see how manys owners ect.

check the power stearing pump.

Also what type of R/T CC, SC? Moded, Stock? You looking for a race truck or a truck to tow?

Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 AM
nhd4spd

Thanks for the info,

I'm looking for a stock truck to use as a daily driver. Light hauling on occassion. Where would I find the PCM on this truck, and is the serial visible without removal? Sorry, no experience with this model. If you don't mind saying, how much was the tranny work you had done, I'm curious about the maintenance costs going forward with this truck. I was considering a low milage an newer ranger or clone, but I've always loved the R/T, and if itisn'ta bear maintenance wise I thought it would be a lot more fun.

Thanks again!!!

Adrian

Old 03-30-2007, 05:45 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tranny work is just normal flushes and filters, i do have to replace my sensors though they are about 50$ a pop,

PCM in on Passanger Side Wheel Well you will see a bunch of wires coming out of it, and the code should be facing up at you, just look around and you should see a code that ends in AA or AB if its AB... your screwed.. but thats very rare. So dont freak out.

Also i useally run Syn Oil, so if you do your own oil changes, its about 30-40 bucks syn a bit more expensive. If you go places to have it done its about 80...

and yes these trucks are VERY fun.. plan on getting a radar if you dont have one already

Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Razorhorn
Rookie

I bought a 2001 model about six months ago. Here's what I've had to do so far out of necessity, so it's a good list for you to check. BTW 60-80k mileson a 98 is pretty low miles.
[ul][*]Replaced front rotors[*]Changed tranny fluid and filter. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd was prolonged and rough. Changing the fluid took care of it. An unexpected improvement was in reverse performance, believe it or not. The truck requires less accelerator when in reverse. I cannot explain it, but it is a fact![*]Replaced shocks.[*]General tune-up: spark plugs (which were original and my truck had 95000 miles at the time!), air filter, etc[*]Front end alignment after shock replacement[*]Mine had a wobble at highway speeds. I figured the tires needed to be balanced and rotated. It turned out that one of the wheels was out of round, so I had to replace it with a used one, which fixed the problem[*]Check the power windows if you haven't. A buddy of mine has one of these trucks (2001 model) and the only complaint he has is that he's had to replace one of the power window switches or solenoids (he doesn't know which) two or three times[/ul]
Also, look for the obvious things. I didn't look where you lived, but check frame and body integrity. I usually deal in muscle cars and I have my own checklist - I doubt it's a problem in trucks this young...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

main thing is drive the dange thing formore 10 min, listen for noises ect, take it where you drive not some smooth raod the dealer wants you to drive on, get on it, if it blows up on a test drive not ur problem, see if the dealer will let you take it for a day, if they are reputable they will have it checked by ur mechanic..

Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM
nhd4spd

Thanks a lot guys.

I really appreciate your help on this!

Quick Reply: Buying an R/T what to look for?