2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

#&@!%@! heater core

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:59 PM
cmdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #&@!%@! heater core

[:@] i have to replace the heater core in my '98 dakota4x4. it's going to be a real pita. the chiltons manual shows the entire dash being removed in order to gain access to, and remove the heater/ac box. if anyone has done this project, is there anything else i need to be aware of,orany helpful insight would be a plus.
--thanx

Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Default RE: #&@!%@! heater core

do a search

Old 04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you replacing it becuase its leaking all over your passanger side floor? Mine does that, makes me sick, i saw how to fix it and i was like.. uhhhhhh NO~!

one of the guys from DFWDakotas.com told me istead of taking out the a/c just cut the lines and put them back together with pvc pipe or somthing instead of taking the whole damn thing out. Its easy and still works. If you go to DFWDakotas.com and ask "RamThis" about it he should be able to explain it a bit better.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Once you get the core installed, DONT HOOK UP THE HOSES. Just put a bypass fitting (plug that connects teh two hose ends together) and then go have the whole system flushed and new antifreeze put in (see if the stuff used has anti-electrolysis properties). Then hook the hoses back up. I have a 98 and went through 5 cores in 2.5 yrs. Last core has lasted over a year and a half now. Changed the coolent every 6 months since the last one went in. Now I can go every year. Was doing the 2 yr recommended flush, but electrolysis still got in there. Before a core would last maybe 5-7 months before popping.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not really as bad as you think i just changed mine out last week just make sure you disconnect the battery and discharge the A/C before starting. I bought a heater core that is larger than the OEM core. You have to trim a little plastic inside but it is supposed to not pop as easy.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, I changed mine last summer and it was a PITA. now it went again, so I just bypassed it again, I just took the 2 hoses and hooked them up together until I save up enough money for the dealer to do it. cause I dont wanna go through that hassel again.

and my 1st one was leaking really bad, now this one I just get a faint smell of antifreeze and a lil puddle on the floor.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you buy the larger one or the OEM one?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 AM
2000Dakotadriver
Rookie

One thing I don't understand is what is going on that causes you guys to go through heater cores so fast. My 2000 doesn't leak, smell, and it will cook me out of the truck if I let it. Course now i'd better knock on wood.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:34 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2000 and mine blew up, just so many other things to fix before i get to that, Its like one thing after another, who ever had this truck before me did NOT take care of it at all.. so now i have to fix everything and replace the ****.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 2000Dakotadriver

One thing I don't understand is what is going on that causes you guys to go through heater cores so fast. My 2000 doesn't leak, smell, and it will cook me out of the truck if I let it. Course now i'd better knock on wood.
What I found out is the motors in these trucks are more prone to electolysis issues with certain brands of coolent. Mine still developed it even thoug I chasnged it every 2 yrs. Only found out about it aftwer talking with an old time auto repair shop. The "5 Star" dealership here's techs had no idea why I was going through cores when I asked.

Quick Reply: #&@!%@! heater core