2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator Draincock

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Draincock

Hi,
Does anybody know if the 2000 4.7 has a Radiator Draincock? Acording to the manual I downloaded off this site, it should be near the bottom on the left-hand side when facing the rear. I notice that the manual is actually for 2002 models so it might explain why I can't find mine!
I'm putting in a 180 stat and changing the coolant so want to get it all out. The stat looks like its the lowest point on the engine so it should all come out but the outlet for the rad is only about halfway down the rad so there's be quite a lot left in. The current coolent looks pretty good but it the Green type, so I want to replace it with the correct Red type, mixed 50:50 with distiled water, as I don't know when and what the prievious owner put in. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
chris1974
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radiator Draincock

Paul,

If you cant find the draincock for whatever reason, cant you just pull the bottom hose off of the radiator to drain the sys.?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:25 AM
DakinUK
Veteran

As I tried to describe, the bottom hose isn't at the bottom of the rad! Its only about half way down,so would leave quite a lot of old coolant remaning.

Paul

Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 AM
DakinUK
Veteran

Has any one changed thier coolant? If so, how did you get all of the coolant out of the Rad?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Razorhorn
Rookie

I haven't looked specifically at my Dakota 4.7L to see how difficult it is, but my first reaction if I were in your shoes would be to pull the radiator.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM
DakinUK
Veteran

Looks like a small job is going to get whole lot bigger!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:12 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is on the bottom of the rad, but I have a 318 so its different.

and why do you wanna put the red stuff in it. I would stay with green, cause you still wont beable to get all the stuff out of the engine either........ unless you do a whole system flush.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Erich_121
Veteran

i had one on mine. When looking at the radiator from the front of the truck it was on the lower righthand corner

Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

may just have engine drains,...

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 AM
DakinUK
Veteran

I thought that after much debate on this forum that Red was the way to go as far as coolant goes? All I know for definite is that whatever one you choose, you shouldn't mix the two. I've already bought some long-life (Red) coolant with the required specs (can't remember them now but it was in a few posts on the sublect) and I've mixed it up in a 50:50 solution with analitical grade de-ionised water (did I mention I work at a univercity!). Its now a pinky shade of orange.
I can't belive they put the outlet pipe on the rad only half way downthe rad as it give less opertunity for heat exchange. The only reason I can think of is that the trany oil cooler is in that bottom section of the rad (the ol pipes go in just below the rad outlet pipe).
I'm off to look for that draincock, as acording to Erich's post, I've been looking on the wrong side of the car!

Thanks all,

Paul

Quick Reply: Radiator Draincock