2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Any problems with Goodyear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems with Goodyear tires?

Today I found a flat tire on my truck. Thought someone slashed it at first after finding the bad spot on the sidewall. Did a little checking in the area and it seems that this tire had a small air bubble between the outer and innerrubber layers. Damage is only on the external rubber. It is not a cut but actually looks like the rubber burst with a maybe 1 inch split. The area around the split looks like I lightly brushed a curb. After checking all 4 other tires including the spare which was never used prior I found small bubbles in all tires. The one I found flat as well as the other on the frontwere put on new 6k miles ago right before I bought the truck used from a dealer. The rears seem to be the original tires. All are same make and model I knew the backs had bubbles and was willing to replace them when they blew or wore out (onlymaybe 2/32 left before I hit the wear bars)but not the fronts. Tires were never taken off road, never under inflated, over loaded or over inflated, I even try to avoid pot holes at all costs. Any one else have a similar issue?

Also this happened right after I used some foaming tire cleaner on them any way that will affect my warranty or even cause this? Drove a block to the firehouse for a meeting came out 2 hours later and found the flat. Thought I P*d someone off.

Tires are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S in 265/70R16.

Taking the issue to the dealer hopefully tomorrow to see if they can help me out. Maybe honor the Goodyear warranty and give me 2 new ones at least. I mean hell something has to be wrong with the tires if even the 2 new ones are bubbled. I am looking into replacing possibly with Fusion XTI, General Grabber AT2 or Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78. Anyone have experience with these tires?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion
Default RE: Any problems with Goodyear tires?

Not that i know.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good year wrangles hydroplane like a bastard.... death trap

Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
4x4kota
Veteran

Yeah I hate the rt/s. they are junk. go anything but

Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

idk my dad has the wrangler rt/s on his truck and no problems, he ran the orgional set almost 50,000 miles before replacing them, and nothing ever happened, as far as i can tell they are good tires, and no his do not have bubbles, or at least not ones that we can see, and we have never had a problem with hydroplaining either and we have hit some situations were at the speeds we were moving we should have but thats just my experience with them

Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

i have goodyears on my hawk, no problem whatsoever, but its obviousely a dif tire...its goodyear eagle F1 GSD3...see if there is a recall on your tire...

Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: shrpshtr325

idk my dad has the wrangler rt/s on his truck and no problems, he ran the orgional set almost 50,000 miles before replacing them, and nothing ever happened, as far as i can tell they are good tires, and no his do not have bubbles, or at least not ones that we can see, and we have never had a problem with hydroplaining either and we have hit some situations were at the speeds we were moving we should have but thats just my experience with them
your dad is very lucky then.. yea they have a great tread life but they were a nightmare for my dad when he had my dak, and when he gave it to me, i totally understood what he ment... when i lived in north jersey, with a dusting on snow, traction sucked.... when it rained, sucked... over a eyar ago when i was merging onto route 17 in north jersey, i pulled a nice 180 cause of light rain.... few people have luck with them... i suggest take them off the truck and burn them

Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

my dad just bought the second set of tires for his truck, replaced the stock tires w/ the same kind, goodyear rt/s's and he has had absolutley no problems, his truck has driven through ice, snow, rain, you name it these tires are amazing, of course in bad weather you cannot drive like an *** or now tire will keep you from turning, but these are pretty damn good tires, w/ a damn good tread life on them, in our experience

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie

OK so it sounds like it is just me that has tires randomly blow out when the vehicle is parked. I actually thought the tires worked pretty well during the big snow this past winter. V-day storm of 18inches.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:59 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie

Update:

Took it to a tire dealer. The guy said lets see what we can do. They called Goodyear and got me only 17% off a new tire that cost $160. I was hoping for a little bit better than that 20-25%, but hey its better than paying full price. Got the newtire and the spare(never used until now) mounted on the cast aluminums and had the other tire which was still good put on the steel for a spare. All for only $20 more than tirerack.com lists the same tire for with tax. I am fairly pleased, was hoping for a better discount but oh well at least they stepped up to the plate. I once hit a sharp granite curb and took a 3/8ths inch deepchunk out of a BFG A/T KO and that tire lasted 30K before the tread wore out and with a Goodyear I tap the 2 inch concrete curb in front of the house and it bruises and blows.

Quick Reply: Any problems with Goodyear tires?