2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic with Lucas

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:20 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Synthetic with Lucas

So just wondering what everyone thinks about switching to synthetic. Im not sure what is in the dak now the dealer just changed it but i was wondering if you guys think switching to 5 quarts Mobil 1 synthetic and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer would be bad for it or cause it to leak. It only has 90k miles on it so i dont think it would leak especially with the lucas in it...just would like to hear some opinions before i go and do it, anyone that has tried lucas before? My mechanic highly recomended it for my jeep when it was leaking but we found out it was something else so i never tried it. Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: Also would i be able to use lucas in my tranny (5 speed) with the mopar fluid? It can shift kinda hard sometimes well not to hard but harder then id like and i was just wondering if that might make it shift smoother.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:40 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic with Lucas

I use castrol GTX syntec 10w30 and about a 1/4 of a bottle of lucas. I wouldnt dump the whole thing in there. but I run senthetics in all my stuff.

I dont know about putting lucas in your manual tranny, I guess if they make it for a manual tranny then you can put it in, I wouldnt put the engine stuff or automatic tranny stuff in there.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 AM
4x4kota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go ahead with the lucas in the engine oil with synthetic oil. Another choice you have to make is regular lucas or the synthetic stuff. If you read the bottle they reccomend the regular mixed with synthetic for the higher mileage engines. also I belive the regular engine lucas is recomended in rear diffs and manual trannies, not the tranny lucas. Hope you can make sesnse of what im tryin to say.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 AM
DakotaRT03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant go wront with syn. oils, but if it aint broken, don't fix it. I dont recommend the lucas just yet.

Quick Reply: Synthetic with Lucas