2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Where to put a Hole in the Firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
the_franchise
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put a Hole in the Firewall

I'm looking into putting a system in my truck... I wanted to know if anyone has run an amp, and if so, where did you run the power wire? Is there a hole there already? Where did you drill one? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Where to put a Hole in the Firewall

I ran mine in the hole with the throttle cable.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:07 PM
the_franchise

What size wire did you run?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 PM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

This isn't important or relavent to the thread, but just an FYI. It's actually called the accelerator cable - the throttle cable is something entirely different that deals with the transmission. I learned this because when I went to swap my throttle body for a V8 one, I almost ordered a throttle cable, which is something completely different. Just spreading hte word so someone else doesnt make the same mistake I did.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Billiam
Champion

ORIGINAL: red9535

This isn't important or relavent to the thread, but just an FYI. It's actually called the accelerator cable - the throttle cable is something entirely different that deals with the transmission. I learned this because when I went to swap my throttle body for a V8 one, I almost ordered a throttle cable, which is something completely different. Just spreading hte word so someone else doesnt make the same mistake I did.

Hey now....we don't want another war like on the Intake and Exhaust thread.Anyway, there is a rubber grommet that I ran my 8ga wire through for my setup. I think it comes out right above the steering column.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well depends on where you our mounting the amp if its on the driver side run it through the rubber gromet all the other wires are gonig through, its actuallt end up by the stearing column but you can reach it by going under the dash, if you have an aftermarket alarm or anything there should already be a hole.

if your going to mount in passanger side, there is a plug on the passanger side already made all you need to do is pull it out and run the wire (this is what i did) just make asure you seal it back up. I ran 4gauge wire through it. If you have a 600+ Amp i would use 4g, 8g will kill your power flow kinda like a bottle neck, amp is trying to pull power but cant and causes it to overheat and pop fuses. I useally go with 4g with everything to be safe, unless you powering some major performance stuff, then go with 0g.

I have a Alpine 400wat Mono Amp pushing 2x 10" Alpine Type E's in a SC Dakota and i can hit harder then some people 12's

If you go with anything try to stick to Alpine or Audioban, sony and kenwood, and all that stuff is kinda cheap and blows. I use to work at Best Buy and a installer, ive installed alot of stuff and so far out of the avg man system i think Alpine is the best deal Type Es or R's are a good deal and sound real good for the money. My friend has 2x 12" Type E's in his car and i have 2x 10" Type E and they hit pretty damn hard.

We installed 1 12" Type R in a Firebird and damn... it was very nice. The only thing ive seen that blew me away while installing was 2x 12" was the L7 or W7 cant remeber the name of it (is made by kicker square sub) and that was some hard hitting subs.

lol.. i think i got a little off topic.. Ill stop now.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
red9535
Professional

ORIGINAL: 02Dakota06Yamaha

ORIGINAL: red9535

Hey now....we don't want another war like on the Intake and Exhaust thread.Anyway, there is a rubber grommet that I ran my 8ga wire through for my setup. I think it comes out right above the steering column.
Oh yeah man for sure.. I defintley wasnt trying to start an argument. I just know that while I was looking into doing my throttle body, someone told me I needed to replae the throttle cable (what he meant was the accelerator cable, just didnt know what it was called), and I almost ordered the wrong one. Trying to help others avoid the same hastle

Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Ran mine next to the hood release cable.

Quick Reply: Where to put a Hole in the Firewall