2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

The Sea Foam cloud

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
daddydwg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Sea Foam cloud

My 03 4.7 has less than 50k miles on it, but I thought I'd give it a Sea Foam treatment. I wasn't expecting too much, but holy crap, the cloud was extreme to say the least. Some tips to those of you that are going to try it:
1) CLOSE THE GARAGE DOORS!
2) Close all the windows in your house.
3) Warn the neighbors. I'm surprised nobody called the Fire Department.
4) Make sure your wife isn't home.
5) Don't bring your kids outside to see, "A little smoke coming out of my truck!".

I should have taken pictures and video.

Good luck, and wait for a windy day!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM
98R/TDak
Professional
Default RE: The Sea Foam cloud

haha nice...i have a question about sea foam...not to be stupid or anything but what does it do and where do you put it that it would create a cloud like that?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, I did it to my truck last year, I smoked out the whole block I took pics of mine when I did it and all you could see is white smoke.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 98R/TDak

haha nice...i have a question about sea foam...not to be stupid or anything but what does it do and where do you put it that it would create a cloud like that?

all you do is let your truck idle and poour it slowley down the brake booster vacuum line. then let it sit for 15-20 minutes then start it back up and watch the smoke it just cleans all the carbon deposits outta your engine.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i did it to my dakota, i let the seafoam sit in the engine a little under a half hour... ran it and maybe it smoked slightly for 2 mins... i got screwed over didnt i?.. my dakota had 62K miles on it at the time... i wonder if driving for 90 miles straight with the engine at a steady 2500 rpms has something to do with it

Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Yea I did this with mine and nothing really smoked. A little bit came out but not that much. I had to drive maybe 0.1km's to the highway and the smoke was gone after about 1 minute, not even. It never really came. Maybe my truck just is clean?

Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what im thinking.. but the insides of the new exhuast i put on are lined with soot

Old 06-04-2007, 01:32 AM
98R/TDak
Professional

hmmm..i might have to do mine..i got a 98 r/t with 87000 miles on it, so just put it in the brake booster line or is there other places to put it as well? haha im afraid ill put it in the wrong place and screw somethin up

Old 06-04-2007, 02:26 AM
daddydwg

This is for my fuel-injected 2003 4.7 Quad-Cab Dak, 2WD Auto.
Start up yer beast and let it run until reaches operating temp. Pull the brake booster line, tip it up and slowly pour in about a third of a can of Sea Foam. If the engine sounds like it's about to die, slow down and let the engine come back up to idle. I cut a Pepsi can top off, because it's roughly the same diameter as the Sea Foam can, and put a third of the can of Sea Foam in there (yes, I washed the Pepsi can out first). A third of the can, eyeball it, it's not rocket science.
As soon as it's all in, shut off the truck. Now, while waiting for 15 minutes to pass, read my original post, heed the warnings, have a beer, get the cameras ready, get worried, and then start your beast up (after 15 minutes of course).
Rev and hold the rpm at 2-3 grand (4 grand if you already have a SuperChips tuner). Now behold the white cloud POURING out of your exhaust pipe(s). It won't last that long, but it will seem like an eternity. The gargantuan cloud will taper off to next to nothing. At this point I took my Dak for a heavy-footed spin around the neighborhood. Keep in mind, my neighborhood borders on some great pedal-to-the-metal straightaways. Get that truck to a street where you can open it up. WOT at least to third gear. Do it again.
So now you see flashing lights in your rear-view mirror? Quickly, take some side streets, those flashing lights are the police.
When the man with the badge asks you why you were going so fast, try and explain that you were just trying to get rid of the carbon in your engine. Now sign the slip that they put in front of you, go home, and have fiftten more beers while you ponder your ticket, and the insurance repurcussions . 90 in a 40 zone? You're busted, but your engine is clean.
Good luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 AM
98R/TDak
Professional

haha awsome thanks, so i imagine when i turn it back on after waiting for 15 i put the line back on right? haha and yea i cant get caught for speeding i just got a ticket bout 3 weeks ago for doing 150km/h in an 80 haha so i think ill have to go waay out into the country for that...not that its to far away of course

Quick Reply: The Sea Foam cloud