2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New guy with 'old' Dakota Checking in...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 AM
DAKNBLK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with 'old' Dakota Checking in...

The wifey and I got rid of our under powered and over rusted '94 Toyota PU a week ago, and went looking for something newer to pull our 6 x 12 tandem trailer with Rhino on board. We originally were looking at Rangers with the 4.0 and 5spd manny tranny, but were having difficulties finding one to our liking that had the 5spd, and notan automatic. Then I was reading on Ford forums about the Rangers and towing, and was dissapointed to find out that the 4.0 is really not that much of a workhorse. So... it hit me... a small V8 Dakota would probably have plenty more torque, and, if not 'lead footed', should get decent MPGs. So, I then found it difficult to find a regular cab, V8, 5spd manual Dakota within a 300 mile range of home. I was on the verge of being bummed. Well, just for spits and giggles, I checked AutoTrader.com once more this morning, putting in my exacting search critera, just knowing that no trucks would show up. Well, one DID, and within 10 miles of home! Our local Dodge Dealer had just gotten the truck in on trade, and had put the ad up on AutoTrader early this morning! I was pumped, but still figured that it was too good to be true, that I had found the truck I wanted. I called up said wifey and got her to meet me at my work, where I only had to work until noon today, and we merrily went to visit our prospective 'new' ride. There she was... a black beautiful 2000 4.7V8, with all the things I wanted it to have, and for a resonable price! We looked it over head to toe, took it out and ran the snot out of it for several miles, and then signed the papers. The thing's got ~97k on the odo, but has power out the wing ding, no rust on the body, and a frame with only normal surface rust. This truck had been used, but not abused. Really, as soon as I sat in the seat and cranked it over the first time, I knew she was mine! Anyway, to make a long story into a novel, I think I'm really going to love this truck! I'll get some pics up tomorrow, I know all too well how automotive forum peepslove them pics!

[sm=ttiwwp.gif] There, I went ahead and said it first. LOL

This board looks to have a bunch of 'in the know'friendly folks, so expect me here often,and be prepared to help me out when necessary please.

Oh, and one more thing, the person that traded it in, had just filled the tank!!

James

Old 06-10-2007, 02:10 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New guy with 'old' Dakota Checking in...

Great buy! Just got my 00 V8 5 spd about a month and a half ago and after about 2-3 weeks of learning how to drive it right i love it nothing but huge smiles and coming up at the end of next week i should have some exhaust on it too.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional

A couple pics, as promised. We're liking this truck more everytime we drive it!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i gota say it your new truck is absolutly BEAUTIFUL how dark is your window tint?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sexy. If I had it my way I would've gotten a quad cab instead of my D and if I was single or at least didn't have kids I would've gonewith a RC (preferably R/T)all the way. I love me some Dak's!

Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM
DAKNBLK
Professional

Thanks for the kind words on the truck! [sm=smiley1.gif]

And @ dodgedakota98luver, the tint was on it when we got it, but I think it's what they call 20%.

Quick Reply: New guy with 'old' Dakota Checking in...